Aldar Academies are currently seeking an outstanding Deputy Head of Mathematics for Al Yasmina Academy in Abu Dhabi for 2020-2021.
Al Yasmina Academy is an outstanding English Curriculum school in the beautiful city of Abu Dhabi. It is an exciting, challenging and enjoyable place for all, where the staff are dedicated to providing a stimulating environment, where everyone feels valued and safe, ideas can flourish and students can realise their full potential. A love of learning, enquiry, independence, creativity, motivation and resilience are key factors in our learning culture. We appreciate the importance of achieving high standards and support that process. It is important to us that we provide academic rigour within a supportive and inviting environment in which students enjoy attending and feel safe. We aim to equip our students to become global citizens of the future, able to make a positive contribution to society.
The purpose of this post is to provide additional and complimentary leadership and management to the department. The nature of the role is to be the ‘second’ in department.
• Assist academy in achieving its overall vision and strategic intentions and to contribute to the achievement of relevant targets as set out in the academy’s improvement plan and self-evaluation form
• Comply with regulations pertaining to health and safety at work legislation and adhere to academy policies relating to safe working practice and equal opportunities regulations
• Comply with the academy’s Performance Management Policy ensuring challenging annual targets are set and to fulfil the role of performance management reviewer if directed to do so by the Principal
• Engage in annual training linked to child protection, safeguarding and health and safety together with all training deemed appropriate for the purpose of academy improvement or performance management
• Comply with the academy’s staff dress code at all times including the wearing of photo ID / lanyard
• Comply with the academy’s computer Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) at all times
• Attend all staff briefings
• Sign out and sign in at relevant academy reception if off site at any point during the normal working day
• Work with the Head of Department to contribute to a strategic view for the academy in its community and analyse and plan for its future needs and further development within the local, national and international context
• Demonstrate high standards of personal integrity, loyalty, discretion and professionalism
• Lead by example as a classroom practitioner in order to inspire and motivate staff
• Work with SLT to secure and sustain high expectations and excellent practice in teaching and learning throughout the academy, monitor and evaluate the quality of teaching and standards of pupil’s achievement, and use benchmarks and set targets for improvement
• Work with SLT to lead, motivate, support, challenge and develop all staff to secure continual improvement; including her/his own continuing professional development
• In consultation with, and by the direction of the Principal deploy people and resources efficiently and effectively to meet specific objectives in line with the academy’s plans and financial context
• Support the Principal in accounting for the efficiency and effectiveness of the academy to all relevant stakeholders
The duties outlined in this job description are in addition to those covered by the Secondary job description.
To have overall responsibility for maximising learning opportunities for all students within the Department. To have a positive impact on the department development through the delivery of high-quality outcomes for all students by:
1. Setting the strategic direction and development of the Department through:
Developing policies and practices leading to high quality outcomes for all students at all Key Stages within the department.
Monitoring the effectiveness of learning and teaching and of systems/practices; evaluating their impact on student progress and standards and thereby identifying further areas for development whilst encouraging the sharing of best practice and fostering a culture of high reward and praise.
Ensuring that all practices promote student progression; improved achievements; a positive ethos and the commitment of staff to shared goals.
In collaboration with the Head of Department, developing a department development plan through collaborative work that dovetails and supports the whole academy’s development and its commitment to raising standards.
2. Leading on Learning and Teaching through:
Monitoring and reviewing students' progress through the use of appropriate data; homework; student interviews; lesson observations; student work reviews and parental contact.
Identifying through Performance Management, individual training needs and ensuring that those needs are met.
Identifying and implanting strategies to enhance Learning and Teaching within the Department including the use of emerging learning technologies.
Modelling outstanding practice in Learning and Teaching.
Involving external advice and expertise where this would further benefit and enhance the learning agenda and therefore student progress, achievement and standards.
3. Leading and Managing Staff
Setting clear expectations and establishing constructive working relationships with colleagues at all levels within the Department.
Developing responsibilities and delegating tasks appropriately.
Engaging in Performance Management as required by the academy's policy and using the process to develop personal and professional effectiveness of self and others.
Leading the Professional Development of identified staff to enable all members to achieve expertise in Learning and Teaching.
Foster a sense of 'people' and 'team spirit' through a culture of high reward and praise.
In collaboration with the Head of Department, ensure departmental systems and practices support whole academy policies and the commitment to achieving outstanding.
4. The Efficient and Effective Deployment of Staff and Resources through:
In collaboration with the Head of Department, ensure efficient and effective recruitment deployment, management and organisation of staff and learning resources.
Ensuring that there is a safe working and learning environment for both students and staff.
Ensuring that accommodation and resources are used to create an effective and stimulating Climate for Learning.
Ensuring value for money and cost effectiveness in the use of staff and resources within the PE Department.
5. Coordination of an Agreed Upon Keystage
In collaboration with the Head of Department lead the delegation of management tasks within a specified keystage such as:
• Ensuring commonality on assessments and homeworks
• Overseeing set changes
• Updating schemes of learning
A covering letter and CV including details of two referees should be submitted via the TES website.
Aldar Academies is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people, and any offer of appointment will be subject to any relevant medical checks and clearance from appropriate safeguarding authorities.