Develop as an exceptional teacher and leader at King Solomon Academy
We are looking for an individual with a genuine passion for teaching and leading Science at King Solomon Academy and a belief in the potential of every child and that through hard work all pupils can access and benefit from a university education.
KSA is a rare example of a genuinely all-through school, with one curriculum, culture, staff body and leadership team supporting our pupils’ journey from nursery to university.
KSA is a pioneering school looking to hire exceptional people. This is a unique opportunity for an ambitious and high-performing teacher and leader who is committed to pushing themselves further and achieving amazing things with and for their pupils. We believe in high expectations and a sense of collaborative and positive enthusiasm which brings out the best in our team. Through weekly coaching and time allocated to professional development we can help our teachers excel in creating a successful environment for our pupils.
Science is a vital part of academy life, with a sizable cohort pursuing separate sciences at Key Stage Four and successful cohorts of pupils studying each science at A-Level. We invest time and effort into teaching science to mastery, so that our pupils can have the best possible life opportunity that academic scientific excellence brings.
This role represents the opportunity for a teacher to immerse themselves in a highly developmental environment and achieve true greatness in their teaching, while developing their leadership potential for further impact in the future.
To apply, and to see more information about the school and this role please visit http://kingsolomonacademy.org/current-vacancies.
The deadline is 9am on Friday 18th January 2019.
To discuss the role, please feel free to email the Principal’s PA, Shaheen Riaz (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone on 02075636901.
To develop and manage the exceptionally effective delivery of an outstanding science curriculum to ensure all our pupils make excellent progress.
- Be accountable for the progress of all pupils in within specific key stages or within specific qualifications
- Develop the quality of teaching and learning, where necessary holding teachers to account
- Lead the design and implementation of key areas of the curriculum and assessment including controlled assessment and examinations
- Be a role model of outstanding teaching in the department
- Coach teachers in the department using frequent observations and drop ins to drive development
Outcomes and Activities: Teaching and Learning
- Meticulously plan and teach engaging and challenging lessons that pave the way for success in school and life
- Meet the needs of all learners by consistently planning and teaching carefully differentiated lessons
- Set and mark appropriate homework
- Use regular, measurable and significant assessments of their teaching
- Complete all reporting on time
- Closely monitor progress and attainment of their pupils and use it to inform their teaching
- Provide content for and where necessary deliver high quality pupil interventions with direction from SENDCO
- Ensure that all pupils achieve or exceed academy targets
- Maintain regular and productive communication with parents about their child’s progress, behaviour and development, including attending after school parent meetings as required
- Organize and participate in exciting and motivating trips and events
- Answer “homework help” phone calls from pupils until 8.30pm
Leadership of Subject
The Deputy Head of Science will lead on defined aspects of the curriculum (e.g. Physics, or KS3 Science). Within this area they will:
- Develop innovative schemes of work which are inspiring for learners and teachers alike and feed into standards based assessments
- Produce half termly assessments with marks schemes
- Ensure assessments are moderated internally and externally
- Ensure end of year assessments reflect each pupil’s overall level which is both externally valid and provides an accurate baseline for the next academic year
- Analyse progress and attainment data to make data-driven changes to curriculum design, and pupil interventions
- Work in collaboration with classroom teachers and SENDCO to ensure pupils receive high quality interventions
- Through regular observation and feedback, mentor subject teachers to ensure excellent teaching and learning in all lessons
- Ensure that classroom teachers are utilising best pedagogical practice for their subject
- Conduct half termly evaluations of the quality of teaching and learning of individual classes and as a department, agreeing implementing and holding teachers to account to changes to teaching and learning
- Create and sustain a positive department culture, where teammates feel collectively supported and developed
(Teachers, including leaders, will sometimes be required to perform the role of form teacher/class teacher)
- Create and sustain a positive class culture
- Care for each pupil as an individual and ensure that they succeed academically and develop emotionally and socially
- Hold each pupil to account in every aspect of their school life by maintaining frequent phone/email contact with parents
- Write form teacher / class teacher comments in reports
- Undertake professional development as agreed with school leaders
- Perform additional duties and tasks required for the effective operation of the school, including: attending home visits, eating lunch with pupils, supervising silent sustained reading (DEAR), break supervision and gate duty
- Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Principal
• Qualified to degree level and above
• Qualified to teach in the UK
• Right to work in the UK
- Evidence of continually improving the teaching and learning of their subject though the leading or supporting of others
- Evidence of achieving outstanding outcomes with classes taught
Skills and attributes
We are looking for these skills and attributes or at the very least, a clear, demonstrable capacity to develop them:
- Effective team worker and leader.
- High expectations for accountability and consistency.
- Vision aligned with KSA’s high aspirations, high expectations of self and others.
- Genuine passion and a belief in the potential of every student.
- Motivation to continually improve standards and achieve excellence.
- Commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils.
Teaching and Learning
- Excellent classroom practitioner.
- Effective and systematic behaviour management, with clear boundaries, sanctions, praise and rewards.
- Has good communication, planning and organisational skills.
- Demonstrates resilience, motivation and commitment to driving up standards of achievement.
- Commitment to regular and on-going professional development and training to establish outstanding classroom practice.
Alignment with KSA vision
- Totally aligned to the value, purpose and principles of all-through education, and ready to take responsibility for their subject area from ages 3-18.
- Relentless drive to do whatever it takes to ensure all students succeed.
- The belief that with the right environment more than 95% of our pupils are able to excel at university.
- The courage and conviction to make a difference.
- The ability to listen and communicate effectively.
- Empathy and the ability to understand the needs, aspirations and motivation of diverse individuals and groups.
- The ability to influence and motivate others.
- Identify, analyse and resolve problems and issues.
- Develop plans with concrete outcomes and effective solutions.
- Evaluate results and identify necessary actions.
- Make fact-based decisions.
- Sustain energy, optimism and motivation in the face of pressure and setbacks.
- Stay calm in difficult situations and maintain clarity of vision.
- Be adaptable in the face of adversity.
Results and learning orientation
- Awareness of own strengths and limits.
- Commitment to ongoing improvement and learning.
- A passion for teaching subject.
- Focus on achieving challenging goals and results.
- Resourcefulness and flexibility in delivering outcomes.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure.