Deputy Head Teacher
Contract start date: September 2021
Salary: Leadership scale L21 – L25 (£69,031 - £76,141)
Canon Slade School is seeking to appoint a Deputy Head Teacher in this very popular and successful Church of England Academy of 1,760 students (335 in the Sixth Form). We welcome applications from highly talented and experienced leaders who want to achieve amazing things with our great students in our oversubscribed 11-18 school. Our students progress onto world-class universities and institutions to further study or gain apprenticeships and employment. Our aim is to fulfil individual potential and prepare pupils for life in a rapidly changing world by providing an excellent education within a Christian environment.
Canon Slade School is a member of the recently formed Bishop Fraser Trust, a C of E multi academy trust established in 2017. This is an exciting time to join us as it provides a great opportunity to work closely with the other two schools in the MAT - St James’s C of E High School and Bolton St Catherine’s Academy; sharing good practice and building on our ongoing progress.
The schools of The Bishop Fraser Trust aim to offer:
- A high quality, inclusive and distinctive education
- A caring and nurturing environment based on our Christian values, recognising the uniqueness of each child.
The main purpose of this role is:
- to be the strategic lead for all aspects of school curriculum (including management of curriculum resources), timetabling, KS4 & 5 options process, quality assurance and whole school monitoring & evaluation
- to lead the School Improvement Group and lead meetings and briefings with Curriculum Leaders and Heads of Department
- to be the SLT link to the Local Governing Board’s Curriculum & Standards committee.
We are seeking an inspirational and established school leader who:
- is ambitious and well qualified
- has a proven track record in leading and innovating change
- particularly has experience in leading aspects in curriculum design and timetabling
- shares and embodies the School’s ethos and values
- has a commitment to academic excellence
- is an enthusiastic and innovative team player with strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to achieving high standards
- quickly builds rapport and effective professional relationships with both our young people and colleagues
- has a genuine passion for quality learning, pastoral care and excellence and ensures that students are at the centre of every decision
- demonstrates personal resilience and role models those personal qualities we wish to instil in our young people
- is prepared to share good practice and actively seek to continue to explore ways to improve their own and others’ teaching and pastoral care
In return we can offer:
- fantastic facilities
- a supportive and encouraging staff team
- 24/7 access to an Employee Assistance Programme
- access to a Cycle to Work Scheme
- a rigorous and motivational weekly programme of continuous professional development and access to opportunities through the Trust’s Teaching School
- a long weekend at the end of November
An Applicant Information Pack, Job Description and Person Specification for this post are attached.
For more information, please contact our HR team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Telephone conversations about the post with Karen Sudworth prior to application are warmly welcomed. Please email Natalie Lenehan (Headteacher’s PA) on email@example.com to arrange.
To apply, please complete the TES online application form – do not send CVs or open references as part of your application, as these will not be considered.
Please also include an accompanying letter, no more than 2 pages of A4, demonstrating what you would contribute to the school and why you would be the best candidate for this role.
We welcome applications from strong, experienced senior leaders; either individuals who are ready to progress to the next stage of their career or experienced deputy headteachers seeking to share their expertise and gain experience in a different establishment.
It is important that you provide a complete employment history from when you left full time education. If the application form is not fully completed or has unexplained gaps in your employment history, your application will not be considered. Copies of your qualifications will be required at the interview stage; please do not send these with your application.
Selected candidates will be emailed (usually within 48 hours of the closing date) to invite them to interview. Please note that referees will be contacted at this stage of the process.
If you do not hear from the school within two weeks of the closing date, then please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
The school has an Equal Opportunities policy. If you consider yourself to be disabled, please state the nature of the disability, giving details of how we can accommodate these needs should you be selected for interview and subsequently appointed.
In accordance with the Data Protection Act, the details provided in the application form will be used for selection and interview procedures, and for employment records if your application is successful. A copy of our Recruitment Privacy Notice can be found on the Bishop Fraser Trust website. Safer Recruitment practice will be followed at all times.
Prior to taking up the appointment, the successful candidates will be asked to provide documentary evidence (including National Insurance number) showing their entitlement to work in the UK. We will also carry out an enhanced DBS and declaration of health check.
Closing date: Friday 29th January 2021 at 9am
Interview dates: 2-day interview process – W/C 8th February 2021
Canon Slade School
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
Canon Slade School is a mixed 11-18 voluntary aided Church of England secondary school and a member of The Bishop Fraser Multi Academy Trust. There are around 1700 pupils, including some 350 in the sixth form.
The school has a well-deserv...