Deputy Headteacher (Primary Section)
Rainbow International School Uganda (RISU) is a coeducational 2 – 18 years day and boarding school in Kampala, Uganda. As the most established, reputable and largest International school in the country, we deliver the EYFS and IPC curricula in the Primary section, English National curriculum at Key Stage 3 and Cambridge IGCSE and Advanced Level in Key Stages 4 and 5. We also offer BTEC Level 3 courses as an alternative pathway to University.
We are an inclusive school, and are passionate about educating the ‘whole child’, and nurturing talents in a variety of subject areas. Currently there are 550 students on roll. Rainbow students are highly academic and our examination results are outstanding. We place an important emphasis not only on academics, but also in sports, performing arts and extracurricular. Our sixth form leavers gain entry into the top Universities around the world, the Russel Group and Ivy League among them. Rainbow is a first class learning institution and a busy and vibrant community.
Situated near Lake Victoria, in the Kansanga/Gaba area of Kampala, the school boasts an 15 acre green campus with purpose built classrooms, dedicated computing suites, science laboratories, sports pitches, two undercover courts, 25 meter swimming pool and Club, outdoor tennis court and cricket net.
During May 2018, Rainbow went through the COBIS Patron’s Accreditation, a quality assurance programme for British International schools. Therefore, you will be joining a school that has undergone accreditation and is of the highest caliber.
If you would like to work in a busy, vibrant and multicultural school in a beautiful country that was recently voted as the friendliest country for expats to live in (http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20170215-living-in-the-worlds-most-welcoming-countries), then I look forward to your application. Early expressions of interest and applications are welcome.
We are seeking an experienced and well qualified leader to fill this all important role. This is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving primary section to continue its journey of implementing standards in both the academic and pastoral elements of the school. The successful candidate will work with the Head of Primary to lead a team of motivated staff in delivering the very best education and prepare the children for life in the secondary section in conjunction with secondary senior colleagues.
The Successful candidate must:
- Be passionate and committed;
- Have a proven track record of outstanding classroom practice;
- Have extensive leadership experience as a Deputy /Assistant Headteacher;
- Have a passion for school improvement and a clear vision for teaching and learning ;
- Experience of leading a team of staff and managing change;
- Be able to engage, motivate and support children, colleagues and parents;
- Be a reflective, flexible practitioner with the ability to think creatively and take risks;
- Have the interpersonal skills needed to successfully lead teams;
- Rich knowledge of student wellbeing and safeguarding procedures;
- A significant understanding of the EYFS and IPC curricula;
- Have a working knowledge of Google Apps;
- Have an advanced ability to use ICT to support and enhance learning in the classroom;
- Have a strong learning-focused philosophy;
- A highly visible and approachable leader;
- Experience of leading staff meeting/training sessions;
- Willing to coordinate the after school enrichment program;
- B.Ed. / PGCE / QTS
- Relevant postgraduate degree or diploma (desirable but not essential)
- Happy, motivated and enthusiastic students and colleagues in a welcoming and friendly environment
- Competitive salary
- Three year initial contract – renewable by mutual consent
- Medical insurance
- Free furnished accommodation
- Annual flights and baggage allowance
*Accommodation, flights and baggage allowance will only be provided for overseas hire.
Apply with a detailed CV and application letter of no more than two sides typed (with passport photo) and the TES online application form. Please include the names and contact details of three referees (2 professional and 1 character). Professional referees must be your current/most recent Headteacher/Principal/Head of School. All applications should be addressed to the Principal (Mr. Derek Jones). The application process is strictly via the TES website.
Closing date: 25 January 2021
*Early applications are encouraged as RISU reserves the right to appoint before the deadline.
Rainbow International School Uganda is a safer recruitment school and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Applicants must be willing to undergo appropriate child protection screening and rigorous background checks (including contacting previous employers). Successful candidates will be asked for a valid ICPC/Interpol check and/or the equivalent police certificate of good conduct from the country of current residence/employment, notarised copies of relevant academic documents and a pre-employment fit for work certificate.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer (EOE)
Rainbow International School Uganda
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 19 years