Due to an increase in teaching load within the Design and Engineering department, an opportunity has arisen for a second role within our technician team.
The successful candidate will support lessons across the KS2 to KS5 age range and assist with the day-to-day running of the department. It is anticipated that they will report to the senior technician in the department who in turn reports to the head of department. Technicians are based in the faculty of Art and Design and Engineering which has a well-equipped preparation room.
Typical duties include:
- Daily Preparation, maintenance, and improvements
- Maintaining the teaching areas, stockroom, and preparation areas to ensure a clean, safe and orderly environment
- Organising storage and dispensing of materials to pupils
- Accepting and storing deliveries
- Ensuring regular cleaning, safety checks and maintenance is carried out for all machinery and tools during and outside of lessons as appropriate
Lesson Preparation and During Lessons
- Preparing rooms, equipment and materials for lessons, demonstrations, and exhibitions
- General administrative support including photocopying of resources, laser cutter and 3D printer-related tasks
- During lessons, assisting the teachers as appropriate with the general instruction, care, and supervision of the pupils. When machinery is in use, the technician’s prime focus is to supervise the use of machinery and guide pupils on safe and effective techniques while the teacher is conducting the lesson
Educational Visits & After School Activities
• Assisting in the supervision of pupils on external visits
• Assisting in the lunchtime clubs for pupils
Health & Safety
- Ensuring a safe working environment for pupils and staff and exercising vigilance towards pupils especially in matters of Health and Safety
- Keeping up to date with safety legislation and carrying out regular safety checks
- Alerting the head of department to any issues of safety within the department
- The technician must be familiar with and adhere to the safety rules of the workshop and the School as outlined in BS4163 and the risk assessments for the department and must be willing to attend safety training courses as deemed necessary by the head of department
Training and Development
- Attending computer training and other relevant courses as required to adapt to the changing demands of the curriculum
- These duties and responsibilities are intended as a guide. They are not exhaustive: the technician will be expected to undertake any reasonable task or responsibility as required
Applicants should be very organised and academically well-qualified in their field, able to inspire academically minded, intelligent pupils with an enthusiasm for technological processes, invention and innovation. They must work well as part of a collaborative team. Additionally, experience in, or a feeling for, engineering or computer science would be an advantage, as would an enthusiasm for hands-on design and technological projects.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Salary £22,913 pa (FTE £28,534)
- 40 hours per week, 8 hours per day, Monday to Friday with half an hour for lunch (8.45am – 5.15pm)
- 36.8 weeks per year – term time plus some additional weeks in the school holidays
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus statutory English public holidays (33 days in total, pro rata) – to be taken during normal school holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free lunch in the Dining Hall during term time
- Discounted membership of the King’s Sport Club
Further details can be found at www.kcs.org.uk
Closing date: 9.00am on Friday 15th January 2021.
King’s is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
King's College School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Boys school with students of age 11 - 18 years
King’s College School is an independent day school for boys aged 7-18 and girls aged 16-18. Founded in 1829 by Royal Charter, King’s is a school of almost 1,500 pupils, including approximately 450 boys in the junior school, located in one of the most...