Reporting to: Director of Admissions, Communications and Development
Contract: 3/4 days per week, term time only plus 4 weeks in school holidays
(negotiable). Occasional work will be needed during evenings and
Responsible for: Alumni Relations Office
Start Date: Immediate (subject to candidate’s availability).
The Director of Development role requires an experienced fundraiser to help implement a development strategy to co-fund bursaries for local pupils to join Colfe’s Sixth Form.
The ideal candidate will be a fundraiser in a comparable organisation, either in education or a transferable field, and will possess the drive and vision needed to help build an ambitious and sustainable Development programme. They will build networks with the School’s alumni, philanthropists and charitable foundations and corporate sponsors, to strengthen an already successful social mobility programme. A creative thinker with a values-driven approach to fundraising in education, the successful applicant will share a commitment to, and passion for, changing the lives of young people in Lewisham and Greenwich.
Reporting to the Director of Admissions, Communications & Development (A,C & D), the role will have line management of an Alumni Relations Manager.
Skills and attributes:
- proven track record in securing major philanthropic gifts, with experience of developing inspiring campaign messaging, establishing robust systems and processes
- proven capacity to design and implement a pipeline of prospects, coupled with experience in stewarding a portfolio of donors.
- expertise in relationship management, ability to relate well to the whole school community – prospective current and former parents, supporters, alumni, pupils, staff, governors and friends of the school
- experience within a communications and customer relationship management function
- outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- event management experience within a comparable field
- shared passion for the school values and a commitment to making a difference to the lives of young people in Lewisham and Greenwich.
Development, Fundraising and Alumni Relations:
- work under the direction of the Director of A,C & D to develop and deliver the Development Strategy with the aim of maintaining and developing a sustained income over time
- operational management of the Development Office budget
- work closely with Communications Manager on the production of campaign documents and communications to supporters, e.g. newsletter, social media and school website.
- identify and approach prospects
- write grant and trust applications
- manage on-going fundraising campaigns and work with the Director of A,C & D to develop new ideas
- proactively work to strengthen links between existing supporters and the wider school community
- implement alumni communications plan, including creation and management of newsletters, social media channels and maintenance of relevant pages on school website
- oversee the work of the Alumni Relations Manager in management of alumni database, communications plan and events.
- represent the Development Office at key school and fundraising events
This role may be supported by administrative resource as necessary to deliver the Development Appeal’s objectives. Resource requirements will depend on the successful candidate’s experience and working pattern and will be determined once the successful candidate is in role.
- help to create a culture of support for development and alumni activities within the school's community
- identify opportunities to include staff and pupils in donor campaigns
- work with Director of A,C & D to promote the work of the Development Office within school community
- to be a visible and approachable figure for current pupils and staff, and to listen to their perspective on school life.
All applicants must submit:
- an application form, accompanied by a letter of application and current CV
- details of two referees, who will be contacted prior to interview, in accordance with the School’s Safer Recruitment procedures
The application should be marked private and confidential and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
Mrs Anna Ross, Colfe’s School, Horn Park Lane, London SE12 8AW
The deadline for applications is Friday, 24th September. Colfe’s reserves the right to appoint to this post before the closing date if necessary.
Colfe’s School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure & Barring Service.
Colfe’s School recognises and is committed to ensuring applicants and employees from all sections of the community are treated equally regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, gender reassignment, marital and civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
THE AIMS OF THE SCHOOL
At Colfe's we aim to:
• promote excellence in all areas and to develop each pupil’s abilities and character to the full;
• provide innovative academic teaching which adds value and fosters learning and scholarship of the highe...