Director of Sport
We are looking for an exceptional teacher and leader to be our new Director of Sport. GES is known locally for exceptional sportsmanship and full participation and we offer a wide variety of sports - both team and individual as well as a full winter sports programme (after all we are only 40 minutes from the mountains).
This newly created role takes the Head of Department responsibility and adds leadership of clubs and extracurricular activities with teaching students aged from 3 to 18. The successful candidate will need to be equally as comfortable teaching our nursery and reception children as well as teaching GCSE or A level PE to our secondary students. If you have not got this broad range of experiences then a willingness to teach all students is non-negotiable and will be observed at interview.
The ideal candidate will need to have a UK teaching qualification (PGCE) or have extensive experience (five years or more) of teaching in British curriculum schools. We realise that this is a big ask and offer wonderful students, great parents, a committed staff and the opportunity to live and work in Switzerland. Switzerland has it all and this post offers a wonderful opportunity for an excellent candidate to thrive and develop a sporting centre of excellence.
This role sits on the extended leadership team and so offers experience of working at whole school leadership level across both primary and secondary campuses. The salary will be around 100,000CHf depending on experience and will included recognition of the time attending fixtures at the weekend and after school.
As a school we offer wonderful, committed and exceptionally behaved students who are keen to learn and be challenged by their teachers. Being situated in the glorious Geneva region of Switzerland outdoor pursuits, stunning scenery and safe, friendly and efficient public transport await you. The school is well equipped and has an exciting journey ahead as we continue to grow and develop. We are a well-respected and fast growing school with a friendly, family ethos and a commitment to academic excellence.
- Qualified teacher status. This role is not suitable for NQTs
- Mother tongue English (or equivalent fluency)
- Knowledgeable and experienced practitioner or from EYFS to KS5 with the willingness to teach all ages across primary and secondary if you have not done this previously.
- Experience in teaching the UK National Curriculum at KS1 to GCSE or A level
- Five years of teaching experience with a minimum 3 years middle leadership experience.
- An enthusiastic, creative approach to teaching, which inspires pupils and ensures that lessons are relevant and engaging.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends and holidays to ensure that students have excellent opportunities.
- Excellent behaviour management and a commitment to high, age-appropriate academic and personal expectations for individual pupils
- Commitment to an interconnected curriculum and to liaising with colleagues across a range of disciplines
- The ability to communicate effectively with pupils, parents and colleagues and to work as part of a collaborative team
- Good IT skills
- Flexibility, a sense of humour and a willingness to contribute to all aspects of school life including trips, projects, special events and clubs
How to Apply
Applications should be made through our TES school portal by midday Swiss time on 23rd September. Please do not send a CV, as they are not accepted. In your application letter you should ensure that you outline your impact and successes and how you meet the job description and person specification.
Due to the large number of applications we get for every role, it may not be possible to contact every candidate but we thank you in advance for your interest in our school.
Please contact HR via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the role.
We will conduct long listing Zoom interviews at the end of September and then, anticipate a two day interview process at the school before October half term. The start date is 1st January 2022 with the first day of the spring term being Monday 10th January 2022.
GES is committed to equalities, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We welcome applications from suitable candidates no matter their gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or disability. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers, enhanced national/international criminal records checks and prohibition from teaching checks. In some instances social media/Internet checks may also be carried out.
Geneva English School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years