The Director of Sport is a high-profile figure within Surbiton High School and leads all aspects of the games, PE and Sporting programme across all three Schools: the Senior School and the Girls’ and Boys’ Preparatory Schools. In the Senior School there are seven Heads of individual sports as well as a Head of Academic PE, and Coordinator for the Surbiton Advanced Sport Programme. In the Girls’ and Boys’ Preparatory Schools, there are Heads of Sport.
Surbiton High School has an excellent reputation for sport. We place a great emphasis upon and widening participation as well as competing at local, regional and national levels. We have reached national standard in all ‘Super six’ sports. All aspects of the PE and Sporting programme are well resourced and supported and there are plans to further enhance our facilities.
This is an exciting time for sport at Surbiton High School and the Director of Sport will play a key role, building upon the many changes that have been made in recent years and further improving the School’s reputation, and developing the strategic direction of sport.
- Line Manage the Heads of Sport and Head of Academic PE
- Work closely with the Vice Principal and contribute to the achievement of the School’s Strategic Aims
- Responsibility for the developing strategies for raising pupil participation, achievement & performance
- Responsibility for the development of the core PE curriculum and the extra-curricular programme
- Plan the work of the Department, setting goals as appropriate
- Working with SLT to ensure that the Department complies with agreed School policies for assessment, recording, contacts with parents, Health and Safety etc
- Attend Open Events and Parents’ Evenings as appropriate
- Oversight of the Sports Scholars’ Programme
- Maintain an attractive and safe working environment in all areas
- Lead and manage parental expectations and those of colleagues
- Have an oversight of the number of fixtures that girls may be required to take part in and mediate when there is conflict between sport and other departments
Liaise with Senior Leaders to ensure that Health and Safety Policies are adhered to
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Good Honours degree
- A postgraduate teaching qualification (QTS desirable)
- Evidence of further relevant professional development would be an advantage
- The ability to lead, inspire, motivate and support pupils and colleagues
- Have a vision for and the ability to translate the Surbiton High School strategy into reality
- The ability to work in a leadership team in a successful and dynamic school
- Evidence of successful, inspiring and innovative teaching at all levels
- Experience of leading and collaborating with colleagues
- Up-to-date knowledge of successful and innovative teaching and the latest curriculum developments and initiatives
- High levels of personal and professional integrity and the ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents
- High standards of personal presence and presentation and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
- An enthusiastic team player with strong leadership qualities
- A reflective and flexible approach and the ability to think creatively and imaginatively
- Positive, enthusiastic and energetic approach to life, with a can-do attitude
- High expectations for pupil attainment, personal development and conduct
- Committed to Surbiton High School’s ethos and to representing the strategic vision for the School
- Ambitious and aspirational for oneself and for the School
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email email@example.com
Please apply online by clicking on the following: https://unitedlearning.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1377246?cid=1567
Closing Date: Interviews may be held on an ad hoc basis, so please submit your application asap. The final deadline will be 8:00am , 25 September 2018.
Interviews to be held week commencing: 8 October 2018
Where support is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.