Institute of Science and Technology
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
Many of the diverse individuals who work and study at OIST come to Okinawa with their families. OIST is committed to supporting the educational opportunities for their children. By collaborating with the local elementary school in Onna village, OIST supports the children of OIST employees who attend the local public school (Onna elementary school) by staffing an international classroom. In the international classroom, the Elementary School Teacher from OIST will work closely with the full-time, English-speaking, native level Japanese teacher to support the children attending the school. Support in the English language as well as in math and science is provided to 10-12 children in grades 1-6. This number is expected to continue to grow each year as OIST grows.
Children of OIST employees also attend other schools besides the Onna elementary school and many of these children attend our After-School Program. Children ages 5-12 spend their afternoons on campus until their parents pick them up after work. OIST also offers a Holiday Program during school breaks throughout the year, offering extracurricular activities and occasionally arranging field trips for the children who attend.
University Community Services
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
As part of continued efforts to improve the educational environment for children of employees and students, OIST is seeking to appoint an Elementary School Teacher. The teacher will co-manage and teach in the international classroom at Onna Elementary School. In addition, s/he will assist the After-School and Holiday Programs.
- Support Onna Elementary School by contributing to the design and delivery of curricula using English as the language of instruction.
- As necessary and appropriate, with the concurrence of school authorities, contribute to teaching in English in the integrated program, and within the OIST CDC After School and Holiday Program.
- Assist in the implementation of the daily After School program.
- Prepare the learning environment by setting up centers at the After School and gathering supplies and materials.
- Collaborate with other aides, teachers and administrators of After school and Holiday Programs.
- Maintain an updated database of all children attending Onna Elementary School.
- A teaching qualification as an elementary school teacher from an English language education system (USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand)
- Fluent English speaker
- 2-4 years’ experience in the design of curricula for elementary schools
- Excellent communication skills
- Valid drivers’ license for driving in Japan and/or ability to obtain an International Driving Permit
- At least 2 years of teaching experience
- Experience with bilingual education programs
- Leadership experience in a teaching environment
- Afterschool child support experience and/or certificate (or willingness to earn the certificate)
- Five years of teaching experience
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 37.5hrs per week: Shifts (ex. 8:30-17:00, 9:30-18:00)
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.2 million yen - 6.0 million yen (Job class: Administrative staff II, A2)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vita in English
- Cover letter in English
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
- Copy of teaching license
* We may require a background check from your country upon hire.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
As soon as possible
Application Due Date:
The application deadline is Friday, July 31. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Please submit all required application materials by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send documents via post mail to:
Recruiting Team, HR Management Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son,
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity and inclusiveness of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* All information provided by applicants and references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).