In consultation with the Director of Finance and Operations, to be responsible for all day to day matters relating to the satisfactory and safe operation and maintenance of the College’s buildings, grounds and sports facilities on both sites. To lead and manage the College’s site support team, carrying out duties as required to ensure the smooth running of the College.
Responsible for developing and implementing the site maintenance plan and preventative maintenance to ensure the team operates to an exceptional standard; and the estate continues to meet the future needs of the college.
The Estate Manager will have a professional manner, helpful and friendly and suit an individual who is passionate about delivering excellent service standards whilst effectively promoting the aims and ethos of The College in a consistent manner.
Main Duties and Responsibilities: -
The post holder will:
• To lead and develop the Estates department, supporting and encouraging development of skills and training requirements to maintain the estate.
• Play a leadership role to ensure the continuous improvement of Health and Safety across the College, and be the main point of contact with the external Health and Safety consultant.
• To line manage the Estates department of approximately 12 individuals and manage the deployment of these staff in order to ensure appropriate levels of cover to keep the site running smoothly on a day-to-day basis; and ensuring the College adheres to best practice and meets statutory and ISI regulations.
• To identify and supervise grounds/caretaking/maintenance tasks as required, and to maintain working rotas and monitor working hours of site staff, ensuring high standards are met.
• To procure and manage external maintenance contractors, monitor performance, inspect and sign off completed work. To include waste, refuse and recycling.
• To ensure that the College complies with all current legislation in relation to site safety and to maintain appropriate records and policies, including fire safety checks and ensure routine inspections of the sites and buildings are taking place, including daily maintenance checks.
• To ensure that the College site is secure, liaising with external security monitoring company and reviewing CCTV systems.
• To ensure that College events and lettings/hiring’s are supported by the site team where appropriate in planning and running of events etc. Liaising with other college staff will be vital to ensure events are set up and run effectively.
• Take responsibility for the mechanical and electrical systems throughout the College, arrange routine and statutory inspections, and ensure any remedial works required are actioned in a timely manner.
• To take ownership for budgetary control relating to maintenance, grounds and small equipment items ensuring that spending is in line with budgets agreed with the Director of Finance and Operations.
• Assist in developing and delivering the completion of agreed capital projects, ensuring thorough tender exercises are conducted, best value for money is achieved, and projects are completed on time and within budget.
• Work together with the Director of Finance and Operations on small and large scale capital projects, and be responsible for operational management of the contract once project commences on site, and that all relevant Health and Safety requirements are adhered to.
• Be a key member of staff working with The Grosvenor Estate on estate matters.
• Understand the School’s critical incident plan and procedures, and undertake reasonable duties as required.
• Ensure all relevant risk assessments are completed, kept under review and trained out to all staff. To include those conducted by third parties such as Asbestos, Legionella and Fire Risk Assessments.
• To be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child safeguarding.
• To take action on any reported hazards or risks identified by members of staff that relate to the premises or grounds, reporting where necessary to the Director of Finance and Operations.
• To support Health and Safety training initiatives and to actively participate in the Staff Safety Committee and inset days and induction of staff. Have an active role in Fire Evacuation Procedures, ensuring that systems are regularly maintained and tested and records and risk assessments are completed.
• To work with the Director of Finance and Operations on the Sustainability Policy and Environmental Management Plan, including energy consumption and providing reports to the Board.
• To ensure grounds operations and maintenance is carried out to enable delivery of the curriculum and sports activities internally and externally.
• To ensure that the College’s vehicles are maintained in good order, and that all checks and statutory inspections are in date.
• Attend termly Estates Committee meetings with the governors, providing updates on capital projects and key maintenance issues.
• To keep the Director of Finance and Operations up to date with all of the above duties in regular meetings and produce relevant schedules to assist this.
• To undertake training as required where necessary to fulfil the College needs and those of the Estate Managers role.
• Act as a designated on-call key holder to cover holiday leave of site staff, providing out of hours and emergency response to alarms. Flexible working hours will be expected from time to time.
All staff in school are expected to accept reasonable flexibility in working arrangements and the allocation of duties including duties normally allocated to posts at a lower responsibility level may be required to meet the College needs.
The post holder will be required to attend occasional evening and week-end events.
General Support for the College
• To support the College’s commitment to safeguarding children and promoting their welfare at a level appropriate to this role.
• Promote a customer-centric approach consistent with stated aims and objectives of the College.
• Provide event support.
• Attend College recruitment and retention events out of normal working hours.
• Be aware of and comply with all policies and procedures relating to health and safety, security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to the appropriate person.
• Contribute positively to the overall ethos/work/aims of Abbey Gate College.
• Participate in training, and undertake any performance development activities as required.
• Attend and participate in meetings and forums as required, both internally and externally.
• Be aware of and responsive to the changing needs of the College and maintain a flexible and pro-active approach to work.
Abbey Gate College regards as paramount the welfare and safety of children. Whilst criminal convictions are not necessarily a bar, this safety consideration will be key to all decisions regarding the employment of staff, approval of volunteers and standards of external contractors. Any offer of employment is made subject to satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and Barred List checks.
We are committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, ethnic background, nationality, colour, gender, transgender status, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion or belief.
Abbey Gate College
Cheshire West and Chester
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years