School Business Manager
Permanent, term time (38 weeks) plus 15 additional days (9 days in the summer holidays and the equivalent of 6 days in either the holidays and/or term time, which may include evening functions, at the school’s direction)
Hours of work:
Monday – Friday 8.00-17.00
£25,000 - £28,000 depending on experience
Monday 11th May 2020
Main Purpose of Job
To prepare timely monthly management accounts and other financial reporting, and ensure financial systems and processes comply with school regulations and achieve value for money.
Main responsibilities and tasks
• To provide efficient and effective support to the Business Manager in the preparation of the school’s monthly management accounts and other financial information
• To ensure that financial procedures are followed by all staff
• To maintain the accuracy and validity of the accounting system
• To maintain the confidentiality associated with financial support services
• To line manage other members of the school finance team where required
Duties associated with the Key Responsibilities
• To assist with the preparation of monthly management accounts and other financial reports and the completion of financial returns as required by the Business Manager, Head Teacher and/or Chair of Governors.
• To monitor expenditure against the agreed school budget meeting regularly with budget holders.
• To assist the Business Manager prepare monthly management reports for the Governing Board which detail year to date and the forecast end of year position.
• To complete monthly bank reconciliations and investigate any discrepancies.
• To undertake other month end procedures to ensure the school’s financial transactions have been correctly reconciled in a timely manner.
• To be responsible for the monthly payroll reconciliations including all casual and overtime claims.
• To assist the Business Manager in the monthly VAT reporting.
• To ensure the effective management of the school’s financial records and accounting systems.
• To assist with the timely processing of all purchase invoices and the preparation of regular BACS payment runs for all of the school’s suppliers within appropriate time limits and ensuring all audit requirements are fulfilled.
• To maintain the fixed asset register in line with the Governors’ requirements and ensure it is updated regularly.
• To ensure effective debt management control highlighting concerns to the Business Manager.
• To ensure the Governors’ procurement rules are always applied in respect of all orders ensuring best value in line with the finance policy.
• To ensure compliance with Trust financial regulations and keep up to date with relevant legislation.
• To monitor the operation of policies concerning procurement and prepare reports if required.
• To liaise with external and internal auditors when visiting the school as required by the Governors.
• To be responsible for all financial and management controls for the letting of premises.
• To assist the Business Manager with the preparation of any business plans or other business development opportunities.
• To promptly deal with relevant correspondence and maintain an efficient system for all data
• To participate in any staff review/performance management processes involving identifying and meeting of training needs for self and others.
• To contribute to finance and other policies as and when appropriate
• To undertake any other tasks and responsibilities appropriate to the level of this post as required by the School Business Manager
We are looking for someone who has experience in bookkeeping and financial processing and who is keen to learn and shape this role.
Please download the candidate information pack below for a detailed breakdown.
• The deadline to apply for this post is 5.00pm on Wednesday 29th April, however we will interview candidates upon receipt of suitable applications, therefore early submissions are encouraged. Interviews will still take place despite any school closures.
• Contact us if you would like more information about the school or the position on firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Complete the application form fully, including the separate supporting statement (maximum 2 pages).
• Send your applications to email@example.com or apply via the TES.
• Interviews will still take place despite any school closures.
• We will only interview candidates who provide two satisfactory referees.
• The interview process will include an interview and a series of finance tasks to complete.
• We will inform all invited candidates of the outcome of their application and offer feedback to those who are unsuccessful.