As a functional skills tutor, you are part of a thriving department that is the heart of HMP & YOI Bronzefield. You will work alongside a team of creative and innovative tutors to encourage and empower our residents to take responsibility for their learning. Your friendly and professional demeanour will contribute to your effective delivery of a range of exciting courses to residents whose levels vary from pre-entry up to Level 2 whilst supporting them on their journey to rehabilitation.
Awarded a bronze accreditation by Investors in People, HMP YOI Bronzefield focuses on providing needs-based services and programmes aimed at rehabilitating and maintaining the well-being of prisoners. HMP YOI Bronzefield is an all-female prison that can hold up to 542 women. Working in a prison might not be what you think. We have a huge range of roles in a dynamic, unique, exciting, challenging but very rewarding environment. We aim to reduce reoffending and rehabilitate, changing lives for the better.
Sodexo Justice delivers custodial and community rehabilitation services that challenge offending behaviour, protect the public and offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better. We deliver the total operation of five prisons within England, Scotland and Wales and own six Community Rehabilitation Companies in partnership with crime reduction charity Nacro.
- Work effectively and efficiently with the Curriculum Lead to produce innovative and stimulating lessons for prisoners to encourage participation whatever level the prisoners are starting from
- Effectively plan courses and lessons by preparing and using schemes of work and lesson plans for all classes for the benefit of the learner as for evidence at inspection/lesson observations
- Identify the needs of individuals in classes and groups and develop differentiate teaching methods and resources accordingly
- Assist in any marketing strategies related to courses, delivery and training within normal work hours and out of normal work hours
- Establish a rapport with prisoners to encourage them to take their first steps in learning and achieve a recognised qualification
**See below full job description**
The Ideal Candidate
- Full teaching qualification (Minimum of CTLLS) or PGCE or working towards
- Experience of delivering functional skills in the classroom (English and Maths)
- Recognised Level 3 qualification or above in an identified subject and professional experience
- Have an interest in the rehabilitation and resettlement of offenders
- Have an ability to communicate effectively at all times through different mediums, including spoken and written communication.
- A flexible and responsive attitude
- Enthusiasm��for the subject area
- Willingness to innovate and demonstrate self-motivation
- Awareness of and commitment to the promotion of equal opportunities and the recognition of diversity and inclusion
- Experience of instructing/supporting people with challenging behaviour
- Assessor or IV qualification is desirable.
- Experience in a prison environment
Closing Date: 15 September, 2021
£27,300 - £31,500 per annum + London weighting (£3,453 per annum)
3 positions available - (37.5 hours per week)
The role will be based within the prison at HMP Bronzefield, Woodthorpe Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW15 3JZ.
What we offer
- season ticket loans
- CPD throughout your employment
- free meals
- free parking
- subsidised gym membership
- group discount schemes
- up to 38 days holiday
For more information on Sodexo Careers please visit Careers in Justice
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs around 30,000 people, and partners with clients in many sectors across business and industry; schools and universities; sports and leisure; energy and resources; government and agencies; healthcare; justice and defence.
Sodexo’s connected; people-centric approach brings together a diverse range of expertise. The breadth of services it offers ranges from food and hospitality; cleaning; reception; concierge (Circles); security; property management and technical services through to data driven workplace strategy and design (Wx); employee engagement and recognition services (Sodexo Engage) and personal home services through Prestige Nursing + Care and the Good Care Group.
Vital Spaces is Sodexo’s value proposition that puts people at the heart of everything we do, bringing together services and solutions and focusing on the productivity and wellbeing of people wherever they are.
Sodexo is committed to being an inclusive employer; we welcome and encourage applications from people with a diverse variety of experiences, backgrounds and identities.
We’re a Disability Confident Leader employer. We’re committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 5 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.
Sodexo UK HMP Bronzefield