We have a last minute opportunity for an enthusiastic candidate to join us in the Gap Year Assistant role for the academic year 2021/2022 with a view to making a real contribution to our mission. This role would suit a new graduate or a school leaver who is considering a career in teaching and would value an academic year of experience in the environment.
The Gap Year Assistant is integral to the smooth running of the school. This is very much a hands on role, with great diversity; no day will be the same as another. We are looking for someone with the energy and ability to get involved in sporting activities with the boys, especially coaching football, rugby, and cricket, coordinating weekly matches including refereeing, and general sport administration of equipment and facilities. The Gap Year Assistant also plays a vital role in supporting the boys on residential trips. In addition, the role includes supporting teaching staff in the classroom, helping the 'back of house' team with everything that is involved in keeping a busy and active prep school running and contributing to the extensive extra-curricular programme. You’ll work as part of a collaborative team, with other non-teaching and teaching staff across the school, all pulling together to create the best possible outcomes for our pupils.
The salary for the role is dependent on educational level attained, so a school leaver will earn £12,989 pa in this role and a graduate £16,183 pa.
The mission of Bishopsgate School is to promote and develop in our children key aptitudes: Independence, Collaboration and Leadership which we nurture through a child’s ability to Think and Learn, Reflect and Communicate. In doing so, we embrace characteristics such as Resilience, Curiosity and Creativity, helping them build up the mental, emotional, social and strategic resources to enjoy challenge and cope with uncertainty and complexity; to discover the things they would love to be good at while strengthening their will and skill to pursue them.
This is a temporary full-time role during term-time for one year, starting as soon as possible until 09/07/2022. The hours are 07:45 - 17:30 Monday to Friday, although the successful candidate will have the flexibility to work outside these times when the role requires it.
The following list of tasks serves to indicate the range of duties and level of responsibilities
involved. It is not exhaustive.
• Assist in Games sessions, as directed by the Director of Sport
• Assist in the classrooms to ensure the smooth running of the lesson
• Assist in Design Technology and in the Art and Music departments when required
• Assist with the preparation of classroom displays and learning materials (photocopying etc.)
• Assist Grounds/Maintenance Staff when directed to do so by the Bursar
• Help in the school office
• Assist class teachers in the planning and organisation of class trips
• Take on supervisory duties in accordance with staff duty rotas including on school trips and residentials
• Attend staff meetings, open afternoons and special school events
• Follow all codes of practice in relation to safeguarding, school discipline, health and safety regulations and the reporting of accidents
Applications should be received by 23:59 on 19th Sept. The School reserves the right to make an appointment before the closing date, so applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as this job may be withdrawn at any point without notice. Please use the non-teaching application form below, either online or using the Word download.
Bishopsgate School is committed to providing a safe environment for its pupils and staff. Applicants for this post will be required to provide proof of identity at interview and undergo an enhanced DBS check before starting work.
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Primary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 13 years