- Part Time - Continuing 0.8 FTE (4 days every week) - days to be negotiated.
- Commencing ASAP
- $87,910 to $122,643 per annum plus Super full time
- School Based
About the organisation
Brisbane Catholic Education (BCE) is a learning community of over 140 schools within the Archdiocese of Brisbane, covering a geographical area that includes much of south-east Queensland.
Committed to high quality teaching and learning for more than 70,000 young people enrolled in our schools and colleges from Prep to Year 12, we inspire students with a love of learning and a heart of hope, empowering them to shape and enrich our world. Through our partnerships with parents, governments and the community, we provide social responsibility, self-discipline and Christian values for all our students and nurture and support the community in their faith journey.
About the role
As Guidance Counsellor, you will form part of the guidance and counselling team supporting the students and school community of Our Lady of the Angel’s School, Wavell Heights in this ongoing part time position.
Our Lady of the Angels is a co-educational primary school on the north-side of Brisbane with an approximate enrolment of 620 students. Our school offers a contemporary approach to teaching and learning, a high standard of integrated technology, many extra curricular activities and the benefits of being a high quality inclusive Catholic school. Our Lady of the Angels promotes a rounded education that encourages personal growth based on Christian values. We encourage students to develop a knowledge of other cultures, languages and environmental and social considerations. Students are empowered to participate as fully as they can in the life of the school. As our mission statement proclaims, our community seeks to empower and celebrate all as lifelong learners and leaders who are inspired by the lives of Nano Nagle and St Francis. As a Catholic school, we also strive to deepen an understanding of, and nurture a relationship with our God, through an extensive Religious Education program and community worship opportunities based on Catholic traditions. Our students are encouraged to shine with life; learn with love; and grow with God.
You will work collaboratively with the school communities to foster the learning and wellbeing of all students through the provision of a proactive, quality guidance and counselling service. Supported by School Services and the Student Wellbeing team you will be responsive to a vibrant and complex community of teachers and learners. Become part of a welcoming and supportive organisation, which encourages professional learning and staff engagement.
- Facilitate proactive and preventative practices and initiatives that promote social, emotional and educational development and the mental health and wellbeing of all students in partnership with school communities
- Manage counselling and consulting services for students (with personal, social, emotional, vocational and educational needs) with a focus on prevention, intervention and student learning
- Provide psycho-educational and other assessments
- Ensure BCE protocols and quality processes for student protection, educating students with disabilities, behaviour support, the containment of critical incidents and mandatory record keeping are implemented
- Maintain standards of practice that are consistent with registration boards and membership of professional associations
- Current full registration with the Queensland College of Teachers and/or the Psychology Board of Australia (dual registration is desirable)
- Relevant postgraduate qualifications in Psychology and/or Guidance and Counselling (Masters level preferred)
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Successful experience as a Guidance Counsellor in an educational setting with a focus on prevention, intervention and student learning
- Experience in identifying and developing activities to address academic and life career development of students
- Experience in the administration, interpretation and report writing for psycho-educational assessments
- Experience in providing support and leadership in response to student protection issues, critical incidents and risk management
- Collaboration skills and the ability to work in a team environment
As part of your application you will be required to provide:
- a current resume;
- an application letter (2 pages maximum); and
- contact details for referees
Your application letter should summarise your suitability for the role and demonstrate how your skills, knowledge and attributes will enable you to successfully deliver the Key Result Areas as contained in the attached Role Description.
- A welcoming, collegial and flexible working environment
- Competitive salaries benchmarked to industry standards
- Salary packaging and salary sacrificing options
- The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People are encouraged to apply.
Contact Person: Karen Forster
Contact Telephone Number: 07 3033 7476
Contact Email: Karen.Forster@bne.catholic.edu.au
Closing Date: 28-Feb-2021 at 10:30pm
Brisbane Catholic Education