Salary Range: $86,437 - $110,663 (based on qualifications/experience)
Position: Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist
Tenure: Full-Time, 2-Year Contract
Start Date: Term 4 2019 - 8th October 2019
Location: Palm Island
Closing Date: Wednesday 11th September 2019
St Michael's Catholic School, Palm Island has a strong commitment to the education of Aboriginal and Torres Strait children as well as the provision of positive academic, social and cultural opportunities within a caring and dynamic environment. St Michael’s has a current enrolment of 128 students in classes from Prep to Year 6. Palm Island is a 20 minute flight from mainland Townsville and accommodation is provided on the island. Townsville Catholic Education Office is offering a dynamic and challenging opportunity for a Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist. A particular emphasis will be to work collaboratively with the school community to provide and foster the achievement, participation and development of all students.
Find out more
About the Role
Townsville Catholic Education Office is offering a dynamic and challenging opportunity for a Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist. As the Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist you will apply your psychological expertise to support students to achieve cognitive, emotional, social, physical and spiritual wellbeing. You will be part of the pastoral and support team and provide counselling and psychological assessment of students. You will complement and enhance the work of teachers to strengthen student learning and wellbeing outcomes. A particular emphasis will be to work collaboratively with the school community to promote and foster the achievement, participation and development of all students.
The successful applicant will be required to live on Palm Island.
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to, the ethos of the Catholic School
- Current full registration or current provisional registration with eligibility for full registration as a teacher in Queensland, and one year (minimum) full-time (or part-time equivalent) coursework Masters, majoring in guidance and counselling
- AHPRA registered or provisionally registered psychologist
- Highly developed inter-personal communication and relationship skills in dealing with a diverse range of students, school staff, parents, community members and professionals from other agencies and organisations
- Ability and willingness to travel, with a current and valid driver’s licence
- Experience with and commitment to the education and wellbeing of Indigenous students within the context of their families and communities
- Demonstrated capacity to facilitate and perform psycho-educational assessments
- Capacity to develop and implement counseling and wellbeing programs to support the needs of children with personal, social and emotional needs
What we offer
In addition to the pure thrill of seeing your students take significant educational leaps, we also offer a range of additional benefits to our teachers, including:
- Competitive Salary Range: $86,437 - $110,663 (based on qualifications/experience)
- Salary packaging options via REMSERV
- Modern facilities and equipment
- Superannuation up to 12.75% employer contribution (if an employee co-contribution is made)
- Access to long service leave after 7 years of continuous service
- 14 Weeks’ Paid Parental Leave
- Deferred Salary Scheme
- Corporate Health Insurance
- Induction and Professional Development Opportunities
- Wellbeing programs
How to Apply:
- Please review the Position Description and Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist Brochure before preparing your statement
- Upload your current resume and a supporting statement (no more than 2 A4 pages) outlining why you would be the ideal candidate for this role. Highlight how your capabilities, knowledge and experience can contribute to student wellbeing and success.
- Please also include the name and contact details of two referees in your resume
Provisional Psychologists are encouraged to apply. Successful applicants will be provided with an induction program, ongoing professional learning and professional supervision. Further details regarding conditions of employment are contained in the attachments.
Guidance Counsellor / Psychologist Brochure
Support for Provisional Psychologists
Summary of Incentive Conditions for Teachers in Palm Island
Applications close 4pm Wednesday 11th September 2019.