Townsville Catholic Education Office
Based in Palm Island
Full Time 2 year Contract Position Commencing January 2019
Townsville Catholic Education Office is offering a dynamic and challenging opportunity for a Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist. The successful applicant will be a member of a pastoral and student support team, assisting the primary school to provide the most appropriate educational experiences for their students. A particular emphasis will be to work collaboratively with the school community to provide and foster the achievement, participation and development of all students.
St Michael’s Catholic School has a strong commitment to the education of your Aboriginal and Torres Strait children as well as the provision of positive academic, social and cultural opportunities within a caring and dynamic environment. St Michael’s has a current enrolment of 110 students in classes from Prep to Year 6. Palm Island is a 20 minute flight from mainland Townsville and accommodation is available on the island.
Provisional Psychologists are encouraged to apply.
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to, the ethos of the Catholic School
- Current full registration or current provisional registration with eligibility for full registration as a teacher in Queensland, and one year (minimum) full-time (or part-time equivalent) coursework Masters, majoring in guidance and counselling
Full registration as a psychologist through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) Psychology Board of Australia or a fourth year qualification in psychology that will enable general registration as a psychologist through AHPRA Psychology Board of Australia following completion of the board approved internship or accredited sequence of study.
- Experience with and commitment to the education and wellbeing of Indigenous students within the context of their families and communities.
- Highly developed inter-personal communication and relationship skills in dealing with a diverse range of students, school staff, parents, community members and professionals from other agencies and organisations
- Capacity to facilitate and perform psycho-educational assessments.
- Capacity to develop and implement counseling and wellbeing programs to support the needs of children with personal, social and emotional needs
Please review the Position Description and Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist Brochure before preparing your statement to address the Selection Criteria
Guidance Counsellor_Psychologist Brochure
Please ensure you address all of the Selection Criteria before submitting your application. To assist, refer to the Responding to Selection Criteria Guidance.
Closing Date: Monday 21st January 2019