Head of Biology.
Full-time, maternity cover.
To start September 2018, for up to one academic year.
We are looking for a Head of Biology to cover a period of maternity leave. This is a great opportunity for an existing Head of Department, or someone who is ready and looking for career progression.
Withington Girls' School is a leading independent day school for girls aged 7 to 18 in which some of the best academic results in the country are attained within a lively, happy and caring environment.
As the Head of Biology you will be responsible for leadership of the Biology Department which currently consists of subject teachers and technical support staff.
As in all subjects at Withington, excellent examination results are achieved by a combination of the pupils’ high academic ability and the intellectually stimulating and rigorous manner in which they are taught. The Department believes strongly in enrichment and extension and our lessons go beyond the requirements of the National Curriculum; in all our teaching, we aim to build confidence, independence and a love of the subject and everything which it embodies.
Teamwork plays an important role within the Department: we strive to enhance the quality of teaching and learning by sharing good practice, resources and ideas. A warm and supportive atmosphere that makes our work both fun and rewarding balances the dedication, diligence and high expectations shared by the Department, the girls and the School.
We are looking for someone to lead the team who is passionate about Biology and can convey interest and enthusiasm for the subject throughout the School. The pupils are given the option of studying either AQA GCSE Biology or AQA GCSE Trilogy in Year 10, and sit the examinations at the end of Year 11. Typically, two thirds of students opt for AQA GCSE Biology. We are a highly popular subject at A Level, with between 35 and 45 students regularly choosing to study Biology, and many of our students go on to study Medicine, Dentistry or other Biology-related subjects at university.
In terms of extra-curricular involvement, we offer a number of enrichment opportunities to girls across all Key Stages of the school. We take all Year 7 students to Chester Zoo in the summer term and offer all students in Year 10 the opportunity to take part in the RSB’s Biology Challenge. We encourage our Sixth Form students to take part in the Biology Olympiad, and Intermediate Olympiad, and our students regularly achieve medals in both competitions. Girls are encouraged to participate in Sci Soc and Phil Soc, where they have the opportunity to hear and deliver lectures on topics of interest. Both of these societies are run by a committee of students.
We can offer you:
- The opportunity to join our outstanding school where public examination results consistently place Withington amongst the top twenty schools in the UK, as the best Independent School in the North West and in the top twelve in the country for university placements at the most prestigious UK universities.
- Keen, committed and very able students who are positive and active learners.
- A highly diverse environment where pupils come from a wide geographical area in and around Manchester and from many different social, cultural and religious backgrounds.
- Colleagues eager to share passion and enthusiasm for their subject and an environment where the relationship between pupils and staff is a particular strength.
- A warm and friendly school where teachers are given professional respect to develop their teaching methodologies.
- A school which, by following the concepts of Respect for Self, Respect for Others and Responsibility for Personal Actions, has little need for formal rules.
- Excellent facilities, including the latest resources to support learning.
What you can offer us:
- A capable and highly enthusiastic teacher with excellent subject knowledge and a passion for Biology, and the desire to lead the Department.
- The ability to teach Biology to highly able pupils across KS3, GCSE level, and A Level.
- The willingness and ability to use a variety of teaching methods to suit pupils’ individual learning needs, selecting appropriate learning resources and embracing the use of new technology.
- Commitment to contribute to extra-curricular events and activities in the department.
- The ability to work well both independently and as a member of our team.
The successful applicant will be subject to appropriate child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Closing date for applications: 12 noon, 18th April 2018
Interview details to be confirmed in due course, please keep an eye on our website for confirmation.
Please visit our school website to find out more about our school and the role https://www.wgs.org/about-withington/recruitment/