We are looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Head of Chemistry, committed to the quality of learning and teaching and to providing an engaging and inspiring experience for the pupils. The successful candidate will able to teach Chemistry at GCSE and A level standard and either be currently registered, or eligible to be registered, with the General Teaching Council Scotland (GTCS).
The successful candidate is expected to possess the following qualities:
- a passion for Chemistry and Science and a desire to share this with pupils
- a high level of academic qualification in the subject;
- the ability to plan, prepare and deliver creative and challenging lessons to all stages, including practical aspects of Chemistry;
- an interest in using remote teaching methods, using Microsoft TEAMs, to enhance learning and teaching;
- the ability to create useful resources to contribute to class teaching and departmental development;
- good organisational skills and punctuality;
- ability to work well as part of a team and to share ideas with colleagues; and
- a track record of success in planning and delivering a challenging and innovative Chemistry curriculum for pupils aged 12-18.
However, the role is more than direct classroom teaching. Here at Loretto, we strive to know and nurture all of our pupils helping them to develop into knowledgeable, capable and confident young adults. All staff are expected to contribute fully to the School’s extensive academic, pastoral, and co-curricular programmes. The academic, pastoral, and co-curricular timetable includes teaching on Saturday mornings along with weekend and evening duties.
This is a full-time permanent post. Salary will be determined by experience and aptitude for the role. In addition, as recognition of the contribution to the co-curricular programme, a further salary allowance is also paid.
If you think that this is the right opportunity for you please visit our website for an application form and information pack. Alternatively, if you would like to arrange for an informal discussion please email HR@Loretto.com.
For more details on the School, please take a virtual tour by clicking here.
The School is currently closed due to COVID-19 restrictions, the selection process will therefore be undertaken, at least in part, virtually.
The School is committed to equal opportunities for all its pupils and staff.
Loretto is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Loretto meets the requirements in respect of exempted questions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, all applicants who are offered employment will be subject to Disclosure Scotland Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme checks before the appointment is confirmed. This will include details of cautions, reprimands or final warnings, as well as convictions. The cost of this application will be met by the School. Annually, every member of staff at the School is required to undergo, complete, and sign to confirm that they have received child protection training and will uphold it.
For the right candidate, the School, may consider the visa sponsorship through the points-based immigration system.
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years