The Head of Department is responsible for the leadership of teaching, learning and relevant resources for Mathematics in the Secondary school. As such, the Head of Department leads and oversees the learning and progress for all students within this subject. The Head of Department leads the professional growth and development of a team of teachers for Mathematics. The Head Of Department is a member of the Secondary Head of Department Team and is, accordingly, responsible for positively supporting school change as outlined in the school’s strategic plan.
A Head of Department in the Secondary School needs to demonstrate a strong commitment to the school’s shared cultural competencies, such as maintaining a collaborative ethos within the school. In addition he/she needs to embody an understanding of the social and emotional dimensions of learning as evidenced through their practice.
- Supporting the development and maintenance of a learner-centred approach to mathematics.
- Initiating and overseeing curriculum development within the Mathematics Team and keeping up-to-date with current theory and best practice in relation to mathematics.
- Working with teachers, IB Coordinators and the Secondary Principal to implement a whole school philosophy and vision for Mathematics.
- Supporting with the placement of mathematics students, as well as communicating with Principal, Deputy Principal and IB Coordinators regarding class lists.
- Modelling best practice in teaching and learning, and a highly collaborative approach to team-planning.
- Assisting members of the Mathematics team in promoting positive student behaviours.
- Involving all team members in the school’s strategic plan and the team’s associated priorities.
- Ensuring that all Mathematics students experience common curriculum plans and common assessment frameworks as appropriate.
- Leading departmental meetings.
- Mentoring teachers in their professional development.
- Supporting teachers in communications with parents and students.
- Attending and contributing to Head of Department meetings and developing concepts from these meetings with teachers in his/her team.
- Coordinating and attending parent workshops as needed.
- Planning and overseeing the Mathematics Department budget.
- Monitoring assessment across Grade Levels for accuracy, consistency and appropriate connections to the written and taught curriculum.
- Experience of the effective leadership of a curriculum-based team of teachers and of successfully leading the learning of Mathematics within a school.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Current classroom teacher qualification to teach Mathematics at Secondary School level.
- Minimum 4 years recent and relevant Secondary School classroom experience.
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Competence in using technology for both learning and information management purposes.
- Strong organisational skills.
- A specialist, up-to-date knowledge of Mathematics pedagogy.
- A thorough understanding of IB Middle Years and IB Diploma programmes.
- A comprehensive understanding of effective teaching and assessment strategies.
- Practical knowledge of contemporary leadership practice.
Terms and conditions
The initial contract is for two years and is renewable. The generous salary and range of benefits will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate, with the overall package reflecting the importance of the position.
Interested candidates should email a full letter of application, a statement of personal educational philosophy, detailed resume/curriculum vitae, and three referees. The Head of School reserves the right to apply directly to the writers of open testimonials for confidential statements.
Applications should be addressed to:
Ms Mary-Lyn Campbell,
Head of School
We are looking forward to receive your online application.