Head of Destinations
Reports to: Director of Sixth Form
Location: January 2022 or earlier
Pattern: Full Time
Closing date: 10am on 24 September 2021
Start date: January 2022 or earlier
Salary: £55,000 to £65,000 depending on experience
About the role:
Ark exists to make sure that all children, regardless of their background, have access to a great education and real choices in life. Academic outcomes are the undisputable foundation for these choices, but we are equally committed to ensuring that every Ark student is provided with the advice, guidance and opportunities to develop skills and attributes that will enable them to thrive, both educationally and professionally.
The purpose of this role is to lead our network of schools in the next phase of our destinations work, and to develop network strategy further to ensure that every student leaving an Ark school progresses to a good university or directly into their professional career of choice.
Reporting to the Director of Sixth Form and with direct access to Regional Directors and school Principals, the Head of Destinations will work with schools, the central team and external partners to develop a programme of support that ensures continued progress towards the achievement of ambitious network destinations goals.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
• Leadership: Curate and develop the messaging, goals and objectives for all destinations work within the Sixth Form and Destinations team.
• Strategy & planning: Create, hold and communicate a compelling and aspirational vision for destinations strategy and the rationale for how we approach this work, aligned to existing network goals for SixtH Form and Destinations.
• Programme Design and Project Management: Work with colleagues across schools and the central team to articulate a comprehensive three year plan for developing destinations support and CEIAG.
• Programme Delivery & Reporting: Provide direct management of the Alumni and University Bursaries programme and the Careers Advice and Guidance programme.
• Ark Central and School Relationships: Build and maintain strong working relationships with relevant members of the Ark central team, including the rest of the Sixth Form and Destinations team, the Data and Insights team, the Curriculum team (especially extended curriculum/enrichment), and all the operational teams.
• Communications: Regularly communicate the nature, purpose and strategy of our destinations work through multiple channels including.
• Fundraising: Work with the central Development team and Director of Sixth Form to develop a narrative for our destinations work which appeals to external funders.
• People Management and General Management: Undertake the line management of any direct reports in accordance with the Ark People policies.
Education & Qualifications
• Educated to degree level
• QTS (Desirable)
• Right to work in the UK
Knowledge and Experience
• Strong knowledge of Gatsby benchmarks and DfE expectations around careers advice and guidance for young people.
• Extensive knowledge and experience of post 18 destinations advice and guidance, gained from leadership of staff in a school or college context including:
o UCAS, including Oxbridge, Medicine and other super-selective HE pathways
o Degree and higher apprenticeships.
• Experience of successfully developing strategy and vision.
• Line management and/or coaching experience, and experience of developing staff.
• Experience of working with and influencing a range of senior stakeholders (e.g. Principals, Regional Directors or equivalent) with conflicting priorities and viewpoints.
• Ability to synthesise complex and detailed projects into both written and oral presentations for senior stakeholders.
• Experience of basic finance processes including budgeting and financial planning.
• Knowledge and experience of virtual learning environments that support destinations work (desirable).
• Strong track record of being a self-starter.
• 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays, rising with each year of service
• We are committed to providing high-quality professional learning throughout your career with us and offer a variety of training sessions and experiences designed to meet your needs
• Access to Ark Rewards scheme offering savings from over 3,000 major retailers, interest-free loans available for season tickets or a bicycle and gym discounts offering up to 40% off your local gym
Ark is an international charity, transforming lives through education. We exist to give every young person, regardless of their background, a great education and real choices in life. In the UK, we are a network of 38 schools, educating around 28,500 pupils in areas where we can make the biggest difference. We also incubate start-up programmes (Ark Ventures) that improve the education system.
How to Apply:
Apply with a CV and cover letter on our online recruitment portal. Applications to be submitted by 10am on 24 September 2021 but please note: we will be reviewing applications on an on-going basis and this advert may close earlier than advertised depending on the level of response.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people; all successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Ark Schools are committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, with a broad range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
- English secondary schools
Ark is charity that aims to transform children's lives through education. Our goal is to help give children the best start in life, regardless of their background.
Our network of 38 schools schools in the UK achieves great results for young people, a...