South Island School seeks to appoint an outstanding Head of English as an Additional Language (EAL), to co-ordinate the EAL support programs for Years 7 to 13. Previous experience of IBMYP, (I)GCSE and IB Diploma English Language B teaching would be a definite advantage. The successful applicant will manage the team of EAL teachers and be a highly skilled leading teacher, with the ability to motivate, inspire and engage with students in creative and innovate ways, both within and outside the classroom. The Head of EAL will play a leading role in achieving our overall goal of ensuring excellent educational outcomes for all of our students. The position will be a full-time renewable contract for an initial two year period from August 2019.
The Head of EAL at SIS is expected to be committed and flexible. Regular duties include:
• Continuously assessing and evaluating the level of support required for individual students and updating the level of support records;
• Assisting with the Admissions process, in interviews and with individual applications;
• Formulating appropriate schemes of work with the Department, which give detailed and clear guidance in content for staff and which reflect a range of teaching and learning strategies;
• Planning lessons and programmes to meet each student’s individual learning needs and ensure excellent outcomes, in line with our EAL Inclusion policy;
• Sourcing a range of well-considered departmental resources, including learning technologies, to enhance learning;
• Monitoring all aspects of the work of each Departmental colleague, ensuring that they:
o Follow departmental schemes of learning and use departmental resources appropriately;
o Use a range of appropriate strategies for positive classroom management, including the use of flexible groupings and structured inquiry, in line with the IBO philosophy;
o Maintain a well organised and stimulating learning environment;
o Assess students in relation to agreed learning outcomes, and provide clear and constructive feedback to students and their parents, using agreed South Island School reporting systems;
• Running regular departmental meetings;
• Representing the EAL department at Academic Leadership Team meetings;
• Leading and supporting the process of school self-evaluation within the Department;
• Working as a tutor for a group of students, within the Pastoral Learning Curriculum;
• Engaging actively with the Values in Action and Making a Difference extra-curricular programmes.
• A relevant degree and postgraduate qualification, including internationally recognised teaching qualifications and a qualification in Teaching English as a Second Language and/or Applied Linguistics;
• A strong commitment to taking an inclusive approach to meet the needs of all students;
• The ability to lead and inspire others and to manage a team effectively, showing excellent leadership, management and administrative skills;
• The ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with teachers and other relevant professionals, parents and students;
• An understanding of current developments in the teaching of literacy;
• A sound knowledge of a range of English Language Learner needs and strategies to support students’ learning across the curriculum;
• Experience of a range of assessment strategies for identifying students’ needs and supporting learning;
• A commitment to pastoral care within the school;
• A commitment to extra-curricular activities to support the programme.
Further information can be found in the following locations:
• South Island School website: https://www.sis.edu.hk
• English Schools Foundation website: https://www.esf.edu.hk/
Please email the Principal’s PA, Ms Angelie Higgs, if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you again for your interest in this role!
Application Closing Date: 8 am HK time, Monday, 14 January 2019
Closing Date: 14 Jan 2019
For enquiries, please contact Angelie Higgs at email@example.com.
Applications must be submitted online through https://recruit.esf.edu.hk
Step 1: Go to the Registration tab and register. You will then receive an email with an activation link.
Step 2: When your account has been activated, login to the system and click "Job Listing"
Step 3: Check the box next to the job(s) that you wish to apply for and click "Apply & Continue".
ESF is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with the ESF's Personal Data Policy, a copy of which will be provided upon request.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.