The British School in Tokyo is a not-for-profit, non-selective independent 3-18 British international school founded in 1989. The school was judged ‘Excellent’ in all areas from Nursery to Sixth Form in our inspections (November 2011 and March 2015). The Independent Schools Inspectorate said that our teachers deliver stimulating and challenging lessons providing the very best in British Education in Japan.
We broadly follow the Early Years Foundation Stage and National Curriculum 2014 for England and prepare students for IGCSE and A-level examinations. We are an academically high-performing school whose students and teachers are committed to providing an innovative, broad-based and multi-faceted education. A rich variety of extra-curricular opportunities is a vital part of the BST experience and we expect all our teachers to play an active role in and out of the classroom.
BST is a dynamic, forward-thinking school: it is not enough to be standard – our teachers are outstanding practitioners delivering an exceptional provision in every area.
If you are an exceptional UK-qualified teacher with recent UK experience in either state or independent education,
and are hankering after a uniquely exciting and rewarding career move, please read on.
This is a Middle Leadership class-based position offering an exciting opportunity to join a forward-thinking, dynamic Primary team who provide excellent quality learning and teaching to children of British and other international families in the heart of Tokyo.
This role is for a September 2018 start.
The specific key roles for this post are included in the separate Job Description.
You will offer experience and a proven track record of leading EYFS learning and teaching provision. Whilst modelling outstanding practice as a class teacher you will possess the ability to cultivate all practitioners’ knowledge, skills and
understanding of best practice in EYFS provision, develop a high quality, child-centred learning environment and embed an effective system of assessment that is robust, accurate and informs future provision.
- Evidence of excellent teaching and leadership in an outstanding/good EYFS setting
- A minimum of three years teaching experience
- Secure EYFS curriculum and assessment knowledge
- Clear understanding of and appreciation for the effective use of assessment data to inform teaching
- Rigorous provision design and delivery
- Impactful integration of ICT
- High academic expectations and the ability to effectively meet all needs
- Excellent organisation, commitment and work ethic
- Proven ability to build, lead and inspire a team of colleagues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Determination and ability to supply the best educational experience in the world
We can offer:
- Highly-motivated, engaged and very well-behaved children
- Excellent teaching team
- Maximum EYFS class sizes of 16-22
- Well-resourced classrooms
- On-going CPD and INSET to support innovative practice
- An attractive salary and benefits package including relocation, accommodation and health insurance.
The school has a central location in Tokyo with close proximity to parks, museums and activity centres. Staff are provided with accommodation a short travelling distance from school.
Please complete and submit the following documents addressed to:
Kirsten O’Connor, Head Teacher - Primary, The British School in Tokyo; email: email@example.com
- letter of application
- BST application form
- recent photograph
Deadline for applications: Monday 23rd April (early applications are encouraged as longlist interviews and shortlisting will be conducted on a rolling basis)
Lesson observations and interviews of shortlisted candidates in the UK (and possibly elsewhere) in mid-May 2018.
For full details of this post, the application form & more information on our school, please visit our website:
The British School in Tokyo is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Short-listed candidates will undergo regular screening, including following-up references with previous employers and Disclosure
& Barring Service checks.