Head of Education - Meldreth Manor School
Location: Meldreth, Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire border
Salary: In line with Teachers’ Leadership Scale
Closing date: 22 June 2018
A ‘Good’ School with a Rich History and an Exciting Future.
Aurora is an innovative provider of education and care for children, young people and adults with special educational needs and we have a vision to ‘empower individuals to grow’.
Meldreth Manor School supports exceptional children and young people to do just this.
Meldreth Manor School provides education, care and therapeutic support for children and young people age 6-19 years with severe and profound learning difficulties and complex communication needs associated with autism and other conditions. They have a range of issues including sensory, health, mobility and behaviour issues that require specialist support to enable them to access a bespoke curriculum.
We are looking for a talented Head of Education to join our senior leadership team and be a key player in our developing service. You will be confident to drive forwards on the curriculum development already undertaken to achieve a Good Ofsted last year.
You will be someone who inspires creativity and collaboration, a strong leader and a passionate advocate for your students, finding ways to deliver educational outcomes that make a real difference to them.
You will have experience of working in a special school environment or working with students with special educational needs.
The school shares the Meldreth site with our children’s home and our young adult transitional centre, Orchard Manor. Meldreth is currently undergoing significant redevelopment that will provide contemporary living and learning environments for students with complex needs. Investment in both the infrastructure and our people will transform it into one of the leading education and care centres for young people with severe and profound learning difficulties in the UK.
As Head of Education you will make a valuable contribution to shaping this and achieving the ‘Outstanding’ school that we want to be.
As well as receiving a competitive package and generous benefits, you will enjoy excellent opportunities for personal development.
It is an exciting time to be part of Aurora and this is a unique career opportunity to make your mark on a growing service.
The Head of Education is ultimately accountable for all areas of operational and educational performance within the School, as well as the financial performance and management of the school’s human resources.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- Curriculum development
- Maintain the SEF and SDP as key working documents that provide focus.
- Quality assurance activities including lesson observations and performance management
- Actively engage with School Improvement Partners (SIPs), Quality and Compliance colleagues and others to take on board feedback and constantly seek improvements.
- Outstanding Quality and Compliance
- Data collation and analysis to show student progress
- Enabling students to achieve
- Management of School staff team
- Communication and Relationships with range of stakeholders
Requirements of the role:
- Qualified Teacher Status, further professional qualification in a relevant area, Headteacher qualification such as NPQH or equivalent or be willing to gain such a qualification
- Experience of working in a SEN school or working with students with SEN
- Experience of overseeing the running of a complex, responsive school
- Clear understanding of the standards for Independent Special Schools
- Clear understanding of the Ofsted frameworks in relation to independent schools
- Clear understanding of Safeguarding legislation and practice, in particular ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’
- Clear understanding of Health and Safety Legislation and its implementation, including the assessment and management of risk
- Clear understanding of communication challenges in students, and the tools and systems to improve meaningful communication
- Clear understanding of the reasons for challenging behaviour in students, and the systems and tools to reduce this
- Clear understanding of the impact of complex health conditions on the development and progress of students
- Open, reflective approach to staff and students
- Strong communication skills
- Flexibility, enthusiasm to embrace change
- Drive to create a happy school
Be part of our successful team and also benefit from a generous package that includes:
- Training and Development
- Life assurance
- Pension plan
- High street discounts
- Employee assistance programme
- Paid holiday
Successful applicants will be subject to pre-employment safeguarding checks including an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check.
The Aurora Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young adults in our care.