Ackworth School, a co-educational boarding and day school, was founded in 1779 by the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). It maintains its ethos and traditions, and is still governed by the Society, although only a small number of pupils and staff are from the Quaker tradition. The school is academically non-selective and provides an excellent range of facilities and extra-curricular opportunities. The school is a member of both HMC and the Society of Heads.
We are looking to appoint a Head of English as our current post holder leaves us to work abroad. The position is ideal for a teacher keen to gain, increase or bring experience of Department Leadership.
To lead in our inclusive environment, you and your team will challenge your pupils to set ambitious targets for themselves and inspire your team to seek out and use innovative teaching practices to enhance our pupils’ experiences and outcomes. All of our pupils from year 5 in our Junior School, through to our sixth form, have their own Ipads and they form the basis from which all academic staff deliver their lessons. This has enabled us to continue to deliver high standards of education during home schooling for both our day pupils and boarders, no matter where they are in the world.
As a non-selective school we are able to offer a supportive education to pupils who have special educational needs. To support these pupils, it is essential that the department can offer the most effective differentiation to guarantee their progress. The candidate must be able to demonstrate success in this area. Many of our pupils, particularly our boarders, have English as a second language. Many access EAL lessons to support their progress. Experience of EAL, and working with pupils where English is not their first language, would be an advantage.
As a boarding school we expect all of our teaching staff to embrace activities in the wider school and contribute to these areas outside of their department.
The successful candidate will:
• be an outstanding teacher with a proven track record of securing excellent outcomes
• have up-to-date knowledge of subject curricula and assessment requirements for English
• be passionate about English education and the development of our pupils’ literacy
In return we offer:
• a competitive salary and generous fee remission of 66% for the children of our staff.
• all food and refreshments during the working day.
• access to sports facilities, new fitness suite and pool.
• free on-site parking.
• flexible pension and health benefits.
• generous levels of non-contact time
• small class sizes
• 34 teaching weeks
• a supportive and friendly environment based on the Quaker ethos of the school.
• a committed parent community which plays an active part in the school.
• a beautiful working location in an ideal location within easy travelling distance of the main centres of Sheffield, Leeds, Doncaster and York.
Applications should be sent to:
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Monday 12th April at 10.00am
Interviews may be held during the Easter break.
Applicants should read carefully the Recruitment, Selection and Disclosure Policy. Our recruitment privacy notice is also available on our website within “Working For Us”.
Ackworth School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and all applicants will undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and an enhanced DBS and Barred list check with Disclosure and Barring Service. Applicants should also be in sympathy with the School’s Quaker ethos.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please contact Joanne Colley on 01977 233600 or email@example.com
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 2 - 18 years
Learn moreabout this school
Ackworth Schoolhttp://www.ackworthschool.com+44 1977 611401
AckworthPontefractWest YorkshireWF7 7LTUnited KingdomView in Google Maps