Do you want to work in a school…
- That has undergone rapid cultural and transformational change?
- That is the 27th most improved school nationally for its GCSE results and is in the top 5% of all schools nationally for its A Level results?
- Where the teacher is valued as the expert?
- That has a very clear and systematic approach to student care and behaviour, with a centralised approach and its own alternative provision?
- That takes workload seriously? That has a clear workload charter, has a rational approach to marking. restricts email use at weekends and during holidays and does not see 1265 as a target to meet?
- That believes in co-planning, retrieval practice, Direct Instruction and traditional approaches to teaching?
- That values its staff and has a strong approach to CPD?
- That is an Investors in People Gold School and an IQM Flagship School?
- That is an all-through setting?
- That prioritises a ‘Knowledge Rich’ curricular approach, valuing hugely the importance of the curriculum?
- That offers subject teams a weekly meeting?
- Where the senior team are on the ground and are highly supportive?
- Where, as the staff themselves have cited, ‘leadership inspires them’?
- That has attracted a lot of positive national attention, where members of staff speak nationally and internationally?
- That is the home of ResearchED Northampton?
- Where the staff are fully behind our ambition for excellence?
- That is values-driven, wanting the very best for the students?
- That has a clear coaching culture to help drive improvement?
- Where we take research seriously and have our own action research team?
- Where people feel valued, and morale is high across the school?
If your answer to the above questions is a yes then please carry on reading this advert.
The Duston School is looking to appoint a Head of English.
- Direct leadership of English faculty
- Direct line management of the department
- To contribute to wider school life as defined by the Principal
- To attend SLT meetings as required by the Principal
- To have a commitment to co-planning, leading, managing, coaching and inspiring the faculty
- To have a clear commitment to a knowledge rich approach with the utilisation of workbooks and knowledge organisers
- Setting the same standards and expectations for all students
- To lead and oversee the implementation and embedding of Direct Instruction (Literacy) in KS3 and as part of the KS4 additional English offer
We welcome applications from qualified teachers, who can demonstrate the highest standards of delivery in order to raise attainment and are committed to motivating young people.
The Duston School is built upon three core values, Resilience, Respect and Aspiration. We expect all of our students to exhibit and display these core traits in their daily life at The Duston School, within the wider community and as they move into the next phase of their life once they leave our educational setting.
We recognise that high quality CPD is vital for the future of any school, and that CPD should be reflective in nature and help people to improve their knowledge, understanding and skills. To this end, there are a comprehensive range of CPD opportunities on offer at The Duston School. Each member of staff has a bespoke CPD pathway to follow each academic year, based on career stage expectations.
The school offers competitive working conditions and packages, including:
- Westfield Healthcare Plan.
- A laptop.
- Free on-site parking.
- A sensible approach to marking.
- Two faculty away days per year for departmental planning.
- A school meeting calendar that privies year team and faculty meeting time.
- A strong school culture.
- A centralised approach to student care and detentions.
- A knowledge rich curriculum.
- A sensible approach to emails, with no work emails sent at weekends and during the Christmas, Easter and Summer breaks.
- A strong stance on staff CPD, with a real focus on staff subject knowledge.
The Duston School is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check will be required for the post. We reserve the right to close this vacancy should we receive an overwhelming response.
The Duston School
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 4 - 18 years