Hurtwood House China is seeking to appoint a highly skilled and passionate Head of English (Secondary). The successful candidate will be joining one of the most exciting educational projects of our time– namely the education of Chinese nationals in a bilingual context. As it continues to grow in 2019 – 2020, Hurtwood House China offers tremendous professional opportunities for teachers wishing to bring their cutting-edge practices to the most rapidly developing country in the world.
Known locally as HD Bilingual School, Hurtwood House China is affiliated with Hurtwood House UK, in Surrey. The School’s mission is to nurture global Chinese citizens, who develop an appreciation for the international context, whilst ensuring they hold onto their cultural heritage. Hurtwood House China believes that education creates character and focus on personal development and progress in equal measure to academics. The School benefits from exceptional facilities on our campus including:
- A bilingual library
- Specialist teaching classrooms such as art studios and science laboratories
- A multi-functional theatre
- Excellent indoor sports areas for tennis, football and basketball
The successful candidate will have:
- A subject relevant degree up to Master level from an established university (required)
- PGCE/QTS or equivalent (required)
- Hold a passport from an English-speaking country (requireddue to visa restrictions)
- 5 or more years of full time, school based, teaching experience (required)
- Wide working knowledge of English curricula and know-how in supporting non-native speaking children in accessing this (required) – English National Curriculum preferred
- Experience in preparing students and supporting colleagues with internationally accredited examinations (IGCSE, TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, ACT, Cambridge KEY, Cambridge PET, Cambridge Secondary Checkpoint) (required)
- Experience with respect to leading staff and running a large department, including but not limited to developing standardised practices within a department, work scrutinies, providing professional learning opportunities for colleagues and devising and implementing interventions to support students (required)
- Experience of using new technologies to enhance learning, particularly through using apps, e.g. Quizlet to enhance vocabulary, Duolingo to support lower ability language learners.
- Experience of working with children who have English as an additional language (desirable)
- Relevant qualification for teaching English as an Additional Language (e.g. TEFL) (desirable)
- Experience of working in the independent sector (desirable)
- Experience of working in the international sector (desirable)
- A competitive salary scale which ranges from 255000RMB – 438000RMB per annum with additional special responsibility allowances availablebased on experience and qualifications
- Comprehensive medical cover for teacher, spouse and dependents
- Annual flights for teacher, spouse and dependents
- Housing allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Full remission for tuition fees of staff children in accordance with HD schools’ policies
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your curriculum vitae and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Covering letters must be no longer than one side of A4 and should set out your interest in this position, how you meet the requirement and your ambitions for the school.
The closing date for applications is Friday 14th December 2018
Preliminary discussions with candidates will take place in November and early December. First round interviews will take place on a rolling basis and early application is therefore advised. Shortlisted candidates will be notified, and final round interviews arranged accordingly. Hurtwood House China reserves the right to appoint before the closing date.
Please contact Sze-Ting Lee on +44 207 788 7937 or email@example.com should you have any questions or wish to arrange an informal discussion about this role.
Safeguarding and Data Protection
HD China is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to respect this commitment. The post is subject to an appropriate criminal background check and satisfactory reference checks. By applying to this post, I agree to my data being held and processed by Hurtwood House China and its affiliates. If I am appointed to the post I also agree to additional information, including sensitive data such as bank details and medical information, being held by Hurtwood House China and its affiliates.