We are looking to appoint a qualified and experienced HR professional to join the Harris Federation central team as our new Head of HR. Reporting to the Director of People, the role will be to support Federation growth through the HR strategy, working with key stakeholders in delivery of business and HR projects and to provide comprehensive HR support for the head office Senior Leadership Team.
The Harris Federation is a leading education charity with 51 Harris primary and secondary academies across London and Essex. The founder, Chairman and sponsor of the Harris Federation, Lord Harris of Peckham, opened our first school in 1990. We now educate some 38,000 young people and closing the gap between children from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers has always been a core mission.
The Harris Federation has a track record of accomplishment in achieving success through rapid school improvement and has built an unrivalled reputation for running outstanding academies in London.
About our Culture
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level from beginner teachers to executive leaders. All our academy locations are within a commutable distance of each other, giving our staff access a close supportive and collaborative network of senior leaders, mentors and specialists.
Main Areas of Responsibility
We are interested to hear from existing heads of HR, as well as experienced deputy heads and senior HR business partners. The successful post holder will be responsible for the management of the HR team and delivery of HR operational excellence. We are looking for a talented individual who understands the importance of education and who has a real interest to work within the sector. You will ensure that the central HR team has the capability and capacity to deliver our Federation HR / People Plan, and work collaboratively and effectively with key stakeholders to help achieve our objectives.
Working from our East Croydon head office, you will work closely with central team departments, line managers and the wider management team to help implement our Federation HR / People strategy. We are ideally looking for individuals who have experience within the Multi Academy Trust space, or wider education sector, as well as those that have a track record in public sector HR. This role will require the post holder to make frequent site visits to our primary and secondary academies in London.
- To understand and support the organisational strategy, culture, performance and drivers
- To work with the Director of People and key stakeholders to deliver the HR strategy and identify key talent issues and solutions
- To work with the Director of People to develop and deliver an operational HR/People Plan to add value, drive continuous improvement and ensure a consistent approach.
- To ensure excellent HR operational service delivery and seek out opportunities for continuous improvement
- To lead and manage the HR team and ensure that the team fully understand how their work impacts and contributes to the organisation.
- Build a compelling team vision and goals aligned to the organisation strategy.
- To provide regular feedback and coaching to the HR team to ensure continued learning and development.
- To undertake HR business partner responsibilities as required
- To support and facilitate the development and implementation of HR policy including the development and formulation of policies, procedures and practices to support operational needs and ensure legislative compliance.
Qualifications & Experience
Experience & Qualifications
- Strong understanding of Employment Law
- Strong understanding of HR technical skills
- Level 5 or 7 CIPD qualification
- Strong people management and leadership capability in an HR function
- Ability to build rapport and relationships, with specific experience gaining the buy-In of senior management and stakeholders.
- Ability to represent the HR function as part of the wider organisational strategy.
- Excellent team Management, leadership, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Strong data analytical skills.
- Collaborative and engaging leader with the ability to motivate and develop the HR Team.
- Actively keep abreast of developments within both Education and Employment Law and ensure stakeholders are fully aware of any developments.
- Experience in the education sector, or wider public sector.
- Experience of working within a Multi Academy Trust.
- Knowledge of Primary / Secondary Education, or Higher Education.
If you would like to arrange an informal conversation to discuss the role, please contact Harry Bond, Head of Talent, on firstname.lastname@example.org
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
NOTE - we only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Rewards & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
- English secondary schools
The Harris Federation is a not-for-profit educational charity with almost 25 years of education experience in and around London. Our primary, secondary, all-through and sixth form academies have an international reputation for delivering a step chang...