The Portsmouth Grammar School is a leading co-educational school located in the historic heart of Portsmouth. This is an exciting opportunity to lead the ICT Services team and be instrumental in developing the IT provision across the school, working closely with the Senior Management Team.
The post is full time, year round and the hours of work will be 37.5 per week, normally from 08.30 – 16.30, Monday – Friday with a 30-minute unpaid lunchbreak each day. Some flexibility with hours will be required to meet the needs of the role including occasional attendance at evenings or weekends.
We are seeking to appoint an inspirational leader to manage the ICT Services department. The Head of ICT Services is responsible to the Bursar for the management of the Schools’ ICT systems for teaching, administration and communications, and will work closely with members of the IT Strategy Group to advise about all aspects of communications and ICT policy and provision. In addition to managing effective and efficient IT support to teaching and learning and to administrative departments, he/she is expected to take a strategic view of longer-term developments and provide guidance to the Senior Management Team regarding the development of communications and ICT.
The successful candidate will be an IT professional with extensive experience in a management position, strong project planning and management abilities, excellent communication skills, strong staff management expertise and with the ‘people skills’ to inspire, motivate and challenge. This role will suit individuals with a strong IT technical background seeking to apply that knowledge to providing business facing solutions and services to a demanding and varied user community.
The individual should be looking for the challenges of a strategic role but in addition have the ability and flexibility to deal with operational matters.
Strategic development and implementation
• Be aware of trends and changes in the use of technology both within education and the wider world and to ensure that the school responds to these developments appropriately.
• Develop investment plans and a project roadmap to deliver controlled and planned change into the technical architecture.
• Work with key stakeholders to understand and facilitate the adoption of new and innovative solutions to enhance the teaching and learning environment, and help deliver operational efficiencies across the organisation.
• Provide guidance and support to the IT Strategy Group to develop and implement a successful IT strategy.
Leadership and Management
• Provide an active contribution to the Digital Learning Group and the IT Group.
• To lead, motivate and line manage the members of the ICT Services Team, with appropriate support and setting of objectives.
• To ensure that an excellent level of service is provided by the ICT Services team to pupils and all academic and administrative staff, with effective and proactive communication of IT developments or issues.
• Plan, manage and review IT projects at all levels with a particular responsibility for the delivery of projects with high business impact.
• In partnership with team members identify areas of potential development as well as areas of potential business risk.
• Ensure that the school’s systems are fit for purpose, robust and secure, and that regular testing against cyber-attack is conducted and certified.
• Be responsible for managing the schools telephone systems and mobile phones provision.
• Produce reports as required to the SMT and Governing Body, and attend Governing Body Committees or SMT meetings as required.
• Take responsibility for other projects as agreed with the Bursar.
• To manage the ICT budget, ensuring that expenditure remains within the annual limits agreed with the Bursar.
• Assisting/advising other departments or colleagues to identify and understand their IT equipment and software requirements.
• Develop and implement day-to-day budgetary management and monitoring procedures for in-year expenditure, reporting to the Bursar as necessary.
• Manage the effective procurement of IT products and services including those relating to software, hardware, internet services, cloud storage, printing and copying, and telecommunications.
• Keep up to date with legislation in relation to the General Data Protection Regulations (2018) and ensure that all requirements of the legislation in relation to storage and security of digital data are met.
• Hold delegated responsibility for appropriate legislation and compliance for example in terms of intellectual property, software licensing, copyright etc.
• Ensure full compliance with all Health & Safety regulations and good practice of all those staff working within the ICT Services department.
• Be responsible for PAT requirements, ensuring that testing and record keeping is maintained, assisted where necessary by the Estates Team.
• Be responsible for some, and contribute to the revision of all IT policies and procedures, so that these are updated and developed to ensure their consistent application across the School.
• To work with colleagues to explore opportunities to work with local and wider communities, supporting them through the school’s expertise with the use of technology.
• Support the various functional heads of department across the school, to help improve efficiencies in operation through enhanced use of systems.
• Remain up-to-date with developments in IT and keep abreast with relevant legislation.
• Attend all safeguarding and other training required by the school
• Carry out any other duties as may reasonably be requested by the Bursar.
These duties and responsibilities are intended as a guide. They are not exhaustive: the employee will be expected to undertake any reasonable task or responsibility as required by their line manager.
Informal queries regarding the vacancy are welcome at HR@pgs.org.uk – please attach a CV.
PGS is committed to safeguarding children and the successful applicant will be subject to an Enhanced Disclosure DBS check.