We are looking for an individual to lead and co-ordinate the teaching of Latin throughout the Prep School.
The successful applicant will be able to show they can:
• Take responsibility for the teaching of Latin throughout the Prep School.
• Ensure all programmes of study and schemes of work are in place and are suitable for each year group and the range of abilities therein.
- Keep up to date with current trends and techniques in the study and teaching of Latin and Classics.
• Ensure ILPs are used as appropriate in all Latin lessons.
- Be familiar with the individual learning needs of pupils on the SEND Register, and to regularly communicate with the Head of the Hub and to follow the guidance of Hub Specialist Teachers to ensure pupils with specific needs make best progress.
- Mentor and monitor teachers of Latin in the School, including NQTs.
• Liaise with the Director of Studies, who will be their line manager, on matters pertaining to curriculum and timetabling, particularly professional development and current trends.
• Liaise with the Head of Teaching and Learning on matters pertaining to their own teaching practice and that of members of their department
• Assist in placing pupils in the appropriate sets.
• Teach Latin and Classics at all levels, which will include Common Entrance, Winchester Entrance and Scholarship preparation.
• Ensure the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils is maintained at all times
• Take responsibility for Health and Safety within the Department.
• Be part of the weekly duty team. This includes: supervision of morning assembly/chapel, breaks, lunch times and departure. To fulfill one evening duty each week, assisting with supervision of the boarders and offering suitable activities in line with your own abilities and interests.
• Be a form teacher (registration/prep supervision) and/or tutor (pastoral/academic guidance).
• Be attached to one of the four House groups, within which internal competitive activities are organised.
• Work within the School policies and guidelines, particularly the Twyford School Code of Conduct and Teachers’ Standards.
• Play a full part in the life of the School, including extra-curricular activities
The Head of Department is responsible for achieving high standards by leading and managing improvement in teaching and learning of Latin and Classics by:
- Creating shared values for achievement expressed as expectations and modelled through the consistent way all staff teach the subject.
- Devising and overseeing schemes of work that support good teaching and learning in each key stage.
- Leading and managing all learning and teaching of the subject.
- Devising and maintaining the Departmental Handbook.
- Supporting all subject staff to improve learning and teaching through development of confidence and individual skills in teaching the subject, and in classroom management.
- Establishing and maintaining a climate within the subject which is inclusive, safe and secure, and where positive behaviour is learned and taught by all.
- Managing and monitoring formal and informal assessment within the subject to support pupil progress and high standards of achievement.
- Leading curriculum development within the subject and acting as a source of advice, guidance and authority on the subject within the school.
- Encouraging cross-curricular cooperation where possible.
- Encouraging the appropriate use of ICT as an aid to teaching and learning.
Full details are available on the School's website: www.twyfordschool.com