The British School, Alexandria (NOR 520) seeks applications from enthusiastic, hard-working and talented teachers wishing to take on a very significant leadership and management position and who are looking to develop their teaching career in an international setting.
This is a key role for the school. Mathematics is a highly regarded subject in Egypt and our current Mathematics department is a very strong department. You would be responsible for building on our current developments and ensuring the continued success of our Mathematics department. We follow the National Curriculum and students sit IGCSE in KS4 and A-level in KS5.
The British School, Alexandria is a long-established, high-achieving and forward-thinking 3-18 International School known for its family atmosphere. It enjoys an excellent reputation both within Alexandria and further afield. It is recognised by the DfE and is an accredited member of the Council of British International Schools (COBIS). Last year we had a BSO inspection in which we were described as a “Good school with many outstanding features”. We are committed to ensuring excellent learning and teaching in a caring environment. You will find the school a rewarding and friendly place to work with good relationships between staff and students. We have a strong commitment to the professional development of all our staff.
Alexandria is a bustling, friendly and cosmopolitan city on the Mediterranean, full of historical interest. Life for teachers is enjoyable with a low cost of living and a sufficiently good infrastructure, shops, cafes and restaurants to lead a European lifestyle. Most teachers are able to save at least 60% of their salary and, at the same time, enjoy exploring Egypt. Although in the past Egypt has appeared in the media, you will find that living in Alexandria is in reality similar to living in any other big city with no particular security issues and a strong and stable government.
- Honours degree from a UK university or similar in mathematics or a related subject
- Qualified Teacher Status / PGCE
- Experience of teaching in the British education system either in the UK or in British international schools
- Satisfactory Police / DBS checks
- At least 3 years’ experience of teaching mathematics
A British citizen who has been educated in Britain and so has personal experience of the British education system
Terms and Conditions /Advantages
- Very good tax free salary
- Free furnished quality accommodation (excluding utility bills) with sole occupancy within walking distance of the school (minimum 2-bedroom furnished apartment for single teachers and 3-bedroom family accommodation for families) in a very pleasant suburb of Alexandria
- Annual return flights to the UK for teacher, spouse and dependants
- Beginning and end-of-contract baggage allowance
- 2 free school places for dependent children (and 50% for a third child)
- Free health insurance for teacher, spouse and dependants
- Small class sizes (typically 15 students in a class)
- Motivated students who want to learn
- Forward-looking British independent international school at the heart of the community with a family atmosphere
- Excellent professional development together with opportunities to take on responsibility
- British international accredited (COBIS and BSME) not-for-profit school for children aged 3-18
- Vibrant north African Egyptian city with excellent opportunities for travel
If you would be interested in joining us, then please visit our website www.bsalex.net for further details and to download an application form. Please e-mail the completed application form together with a brief letter of application, of no more than two sides of A4, to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy to Principal@bsalex.net.
The closing date is Sunday 26th January at 9am (UK time). In the case of receiving an exceptionally strong application prior to the closing date, we reserve the right to appoint earlier.
We intend to interview UK candidates in London on Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd February followed by Skype interviews for applicants who are currently in British International schools outside of the UK.
If you have any questions or would like any further details, please do not hesitate to contact myself by email at Principal@bsalex.net .
Single teachers or married couples (with or without children) are welcome to apply.
The British School, Alexandria is committed to all aspects of safeguarding.