St Helen’s is an academically selective independent girls’ day school of more than 1100 students aged 3-18, set in beautiful green space in Northwood, Greater London.
We are looking for an ambitious, dynamic, innovative leader to head our thriving Mathematics Department.
The management responsibilities as the Head of Mathematics include:
- to have a clear vision for the future of the Department
- to provide leadership and line management to the staff in the Department
- to monitor the work of staff in the Department via formal and informal lesson observations, work scrutiny, annual Professional Development Review meetings and other appropriate means, ensuring that learning and teaching within the Department is consistent with the School’s Strategic Framework.
- to provide support, coaching, mentoring, challenge and advice to all members of the Department to secure the highest standards of learning, teaching and professional development
- to develop and implement departmental policies in line with whole school policies
- to ensure the ongoing development, implementation, monitoring and review of departmental schemes of work, teaching strategies, homework, marking, assessment, recording and reporting
- to participate in Departmental Reviews, evaluate the work of the Department and report to the Senior Leadership Team
- to organise the distribution of teaching in the Department
- to ensure effective communication within the Department and to hold regular teaching and learning focused departmental meetings
- to delegate clearly defined areas of responsibility to other members of the Department
- to assist in the assessment and selection of prospective pupils in consultation with the Academic Deputy Head
- to ensure that all members of the Department have access to professional development opportunities which are consistent with their own needs and those of the Department and School
- to be responsible for departmental resources
- to ensure a safe working environment for staff and pupils, both in the classroom and on educational visits
- to prepare and manage the annual departmental budget
- to teach an appropriate period allocation (normally 35 periods over a two-week timetable)
- to liaise with the teacher responsible for Mathematics in the Prep School
- to be an active member of the Academic Advisory Board
- Leadership skills
- A good honours degree in a relevant or associated subject
- Experience of teaching Mathematics across the secondary age range and demonstrable passion for the subject
- Detailed understanding of current developments in the secondary curriculum and assessment
- Experience of curriculum/subject development
- Demonstrable ability to work in a team and work collaboratively
- The ability to lead and motivate a team
- Commitment to further professional development
- Drive and ambition
- a teaching qualification such as a PGCE
St Helen's School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Girls school with students of age 3 - 18 years
St Helen's is an independent school for girls aged 3-18. We pride ourselves on our outstanding academic record, with our students consistently achieving excellent GCSE and A Level results.
We aim to give every girl an excellent, well-balanced, academi...