Deputy Director of Learning - Head of Music
Salary: Leadership Points 3 - 7
Closing date: Midday on Tuesday 23rd April 2019
Start date: September 2019
Cowes Enterprise College is a wonderful place to work and develop as a teacher. This is a fantastic time to join the Academy and we’re excited about you coming to join our team!
Music is taught to all students in Key Stage 3 (Years 7 & 8) and becomes an option (with Music Technology) in Years 9 – 11. Both subjects are offered at A level.
At present the Academy has a number of small groups and ensembles, including a choir, ukulele orchestra and the Academy Band. The ability and passion to deliver a range of music after school and enrichment opportunities for students is essential to this role to expand and develop the performance skills of our students.
This role offers an exciting opportunity and challenge for a high calibre, versatile and enthusiastic leader to join a strong and successful Creative faculty. We are fortunate to have cutting edge facilities here in our purpose built and highly inspirational building. The Creative department has several purpose built music classrooms including dedicated practice rooms, 2 iMac music technology suites and a professional recording studio.
We are able to offer an excellent package of support and benefits for the right candidates:
• Join a talented Creative faculty.
• Relocation and recruitment possibilities can also be discussed at interview for the right candidate.
• students who are a pleasure to teach.
• a strong culture of professional development in this aspiring Teaching School.
• superb, state-of-the-art facilities.
• an Ofsted ‘Good’ school with high standards and high expectations.
• collaborative opportunities from Ormiston Academies Trust.
This is a key leadership role in the Academy. The successful candidate will need to be:
• A qualified teacher, able to deliver consistently good and better lessons across the age-groups of the Academy
• Ambitious to develop the musical potential of our students and the scope and range of musical activity and performance
• A competent leader, able to take responsibility for the leadership of this department
• A good colleague, who can work with the other members of the Creative faculty and the wider staff in the best interests of our students and the Academy
All teachers at Cowes are expected to participate fully in the wider life of the academy as form teachers and we welcome involvement in extra-curricular activities. Teaching staff are required to meet the core standards within the framework of the Professional Standards for Teachers in England. There is an effective system for the performance management and professional development of all staff.
About our academy
Cowes Enterprise College is part of the Ormiston Academy Trust. Our mission is to become the Trust that makes the biggest difference, both inside and outside the classroom.
We strive every day to create an education that sees the young people of Cowes and the community beyond get the very best, not just in an academic sense but also in developing the skill set, confidence, attitudes and aspirations that will provide the catalyst for sustained success throughout their lives. Our ambition is:
• To empower students to become independent and confident with the self-belief that they can influence change.
• To provide the support and guidance to teach them skills they will need in adulthood.
• To encourage and develop in all members of the academy, the Ormiston Academies Trust core values of:
Anyone can excel
Enjoy the challenge
Share what is best
Cowes Enterprise College is located in the internationally famous town of Cowes on the Isle of Wight. Cowes boasts both a fantastic quality of life and significantly lower house prices. Our academy is also highly commutable from the mainland as it is situated just minutes from the fast passenger ferry link to Southampton.
Cowes sits at the northernmost point of this popular tourist destination. It is widely regarded as the world’s premier yachting centre and hosts the oldest yacht club in the world – the prestigious Royal Yacht Squadron. It has excellent transport links to Southampton (car ferry and high-speed catamaran) and to the other towns on the Island. Southampton is just over an hour away by train from Central London and is served by an airport that has regular scheduled flights to a wide range of airports.
How to Apply
Application is made by completing and returning the academy application form by the closing date of Tuesday 23rd April 2019. Please apply via the TES website or contact Donna Harrison, HR officer.
Interviews will be held from Monday 29th April 2019.
For further information or the opportunity to talk to the Principal, Rachel Kitley by telephone or to visit the academy and discuss this post, please contact:
Donna Harrison, HR Officer at email@example.com or call +44 1983 203103.
For more details about Cowes Enterprise College, visit our academy website: http://www.cowesec.org
Cowes Enterprise College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. A full enhanced DBS Clearance Certificate will be required and relevant prohibition checks will be completed as applicable.