Do you have the vision and strategy to lead a successful and thriving Music Department in an ’Outstanding’ school?
We are seeking an innovative and dynamic Head of Music to lead our well-established and friendly department and further build upon our strong GCSE and A Level results.
Music plays a central role in school life at Glyn, with ever-increasing numbers of students participating in both curricular and extra-curricular activities throughout the school. The subject is taught at KS3, GCSE and A Level with students frequently going on to study music at a higher level. Significant numbers of students take instrumental and vocal lessons at school and contribute to the wide-ranging extra-curricular programme.
We are interested in hearing from all candidates, no matter what point in your career you are currently at and welcome flexible working arrangements.
Glyn School is ideally situated just ten minutes’ walk from both Ewell East and Ewell West stations, both of which are approximately 20 minutes from Clapham Junction and within Zone 6.
Why should you teach at Glyn:
Glyn is an ‘outstanding’ school; to be exceptional is for our students to leave not only with the grades necessary to pursue their goals, but also with the life-skills they need to thrive and contribute to the global economy and community.
Learning and Teaching is at the heart of the school. Our teachers have a passion for their subjects and build strong relationships with students to cultivate their ‘love of learning’. We are unashamedly determined in pursuing the simple ethos that the classroom should be an exciting place to be. We offer our teachers unprecedented support to hone their craft and ensure that their personal learning, and by extension, our students personal learning is an inspiring journey.
What fellow teachers say about their careers at Glyn:
“Glyn is a highly enjoyable environment to work in with incredibly supportive colleagues - It was this supportive ethos within the school as well as the extremely positive rapport between staff and students that drew me in to apply here. Over four years later I retain those sentiments”.
"I moved to Glyn after five years at a grammar school. It was definitely the right move for me. I absolutely love the atmosphere at Glyn. The students are a joy to teach and my team are incredibly supportive of each other. It's fantastic to work at a highly respected school where learning and teaching always takes priority”.
We can offer you:
- The opportunity to lead a busy and successful department where curricular and extra-curricular Music are thriving.
- A chance to develop and share your passion for Music, up to and including A Level.
- A well-resourced department including a Mac Suite running Sibelius, Garageband and Logic Pro, a recording studio, and a wide variety of classroom instruments.
- The chance to direct a number of extra-curricular ensembles and choirs within the department, which runs a wide range of activities including Concert Band, Junior Band, Pop Choir, Djembe Drumming Group, String Orchestra, Ukulele Band, Sixth Form Vocal Group and Chamber Music ensembles.
- An opportunity to be involved in a department which contributes widely to the life of the school, through performances in concerts, assemblies, productions and prize-giving.
- An opportunity to develop your teaching career through our extensive CPD programme. Glyn has achieved Investors in People (Silver) status demonstrating our commitment to Continuing Professional Development.
The successful candidate will need to:
- Be an excellent and creative classroom practitioner.
- Be enthusiastic and committed to working as part of a team.
- Be passionate about the students’ learning and welfare.
- Be keen to be part of the wider school community, participating in extra-curricular clubs.
Visits to Glyn School are welcome and warmly encouraged. Please contact Sri Narasimhan, HR to arrange for a school visit.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview as soon as applications are received. GLF reserves the right to invite candidates for interview ahead of the closing date and withdraw this vacancy at any time if there is a good level of response. We would therefore recommend that you submit your application as early as possible.
Please be advised that references may be requested on receipt of your application. Please state if you wish this to be delayed until shortlisting/interviews have taken place.
A few facts about Glyn:
An oversubscribed, Ofsted rating 'Outstanding' 11-19 Academy, Glyn is the lead school in the successful and thriving GLF Multi Academy Trust. We are a vibrant school for boys with 1253 students on roll (year 7-11), and a successful mixed Sixth form with 554 students. In 2014, we were designated a teaching school, one of a select number that represent the most outstanding and innovative practices nationally.