The Head of Primary School should be an adaptable educator and innovative leader with a passion for learning. She / He should be a good motivator, communicator and administrator and should be capable of managing key aspects of an expanding and high profile international Primary School with a particular focus on raising academic standards. She / He should be able to provide professional leadership for their particular responsibility areas and should be viewed as genuine ambassador for the school.
For further details about the role see below and the attached candidate brief.
Trusted for over 55 years and now a third generation education family, GEMS Education began in a single school room in Dubai. Today, we have the privilege of educating over 190,000 students from over 176 countries through GEMS owned and managed schools globally.
About the School
Opened in 2015, GEMS International School, Pearl City, Penang (GIP), is a British School located on the mainland of Penang with easy access to both north and south bridges leading to the island. GIP currently has 475 learners with significant growth planned.
We deliver the British curriculum from the Foundation Stages through to Year 11 and an exciting A-level programme is due to open in September 2019.
GIP benefits from an outstanding campus and facilities and is well-equipped with the latest technology for all areas, with iLED and interactive screens in all primary classrooms and mobile access to lap-tops and iPads.
There is a significant drive for constant improvement across the school and a dynamic culture of support and growth, with strong professional development for all staff, including in-service and external training and a culture of sharing best practice across the school.
The successful candidate will be an inspirational and innovative leader who can secure the full engagement of staff and all other stakeholders in the delivery of the school's objectives. The successful candidate will have the following key skills, experience and attributes:
Qualifications & Personal Development
- University educated with an Honours Degree
- hold a recognised teaching qualification
- evidence of on-going professional learning and development.
In-depth knowledge and understanding of:
- Real leadership and management in the fields of learning and communication.
- Previous senior leadership position
- School curriculum - National Curriculum for England.
- Assessment for Learning, Assessment of Learning, use of data, baselines assessment and value added.
- EAL provision.
- Current educational issues and up to date curriculum developments.
- Application of effective teaching and learning strategies that achieve high levels of teaching and student achievement.
- A clear focus and passion for student learning.
- Leadership position in a school with responsibility for curriculum and / or a pastoral care and / or personnel.
- Experience in an international or independent / private school.
- Developing and implementing school quality improvement programme, including demonstration of raising students' level of achievement at KS1 or KS2.
- Excellent professional knowledge (of curricula, quality management, school organisation and current educational issues).
- Successful partnership with school parents and communities.
- Promoting good communication within and beyond the school.
- Proven ability to support, motivate, lead and manage staff.
- The ability to represent the school to its student and parent community.
- Organisational and administrative skills, and experience of efficient resource management.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- A problem solver who can adapt and change
- Self-confident and good judgment
- Reliability and commitment
- Enthusiasm and sensitivity
- Set standards and be a role model
If you meet the criteria, are enthusiastic about teaching and learning and have the drive and passion to get the most from our learners then we would welcome your application.
Interested candidates should apply through TES attaching the following documents:
- Letter of application (2 pages max)
- CV (3 pages max)
- A statement of your educational philosophy
- Recent photograph
- Names, telephone number and email contact for three referees, at least one of whom should be your current employer (note that we will not contact your employer without informing you first)
We will acknowledge all applications and keep applicants informed; we enjoy a high level of interest in our vacancies, but your candidacy is very important to us. Please also be aware GIP is a non-smoking campus, and applicants will be expected to be comfortable in that environment.
The schedule for these appointments is:
Closing date: April 11th 2021
Anticipated date for first round interviews: Week beginning April 12th.
Preliminary interviews will be held by Zoom / Teams. If shortlisted, you will be invited to an online final interview day in the week beginning April 19th.
Please note we may begin interviewing ahead of the closing date for suitable candidates.
GEMS International School of Pearl City, Penang is committed to safeguarding children and will ensure that recruitment procedures adhere to safer recruitment guidance. Successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced UK Disclosure and Barring Service check and/or equivalent overseas police check where relevant.
For further information or informal contact regarding the job, you may drop an email to Ms Angeline Samiyah (School HR) at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you.
Candidates who have previously applied need not re-apply.
GEMS International School of Pearl City, Penang
Simpang Ampat, Penang
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years