About the School
The Royal School for the Blind Charity is an incorporated registered Charity managed by a Committee of Management whose members are its Charity Trustees under powers contained in the Act of Parliament 10 George II Chapter XV dated 1829. The Charity delegates the duties of Government of the School to the Governing Body, to which the successful candidate will be accountable. The Charity established nursery provision in 2016 and, since that date the number of pupils attending the School has increased significantly.
The Department for Education (DFE) increased the School's capacity from sixty to ninety pupils in 2018 and currently there are eighty seven pupils on roll who are taught in twelve classes with a maximum of eight pupils in each. The School also provides residential accommodation for ten pupils, from Monday to Friday during term time and the Head of School's duties includes residential supervision for one night per week.
About the Role
Following a period of rapid expansion, the Governing Body seeks to appoint a Head of School who will consolidate and build on that growth by maintaining and enhancing the School's outstanding education (Ofsted 2016) and care (Ofsted 2019) provision, develop the School's middle management structure and encourage further parental involvement. In addition, the successful applicant will be encouraged to extend the range of services on offer to meet Local Authority and parental expectations.
The Trustees’ seek to appoint an inspirational Head of School whose contribution will enhance the School's outstanding reputation in education, (Ofsted 2016) and care (Ofsted 2019). Suitable candidates will have Headteacher, Deputy Headteacher, Head of School or similar experience and have achieved an appropriate specialist SEND qualification. Suitable candidates will have an enthusiastic outlook, exceptional leadership qualities and a passion for delivering outstanding care and education for all children. It will be a requirement of the successful candidate to act as emergency senior staff on call for Residential for one night per week onsite. Accommodation will be provided.
The role will be of interest to current Headteachers, Deputy Headteachers, Heads of School and those operating at similar leadership levels and who can:
- Provide inspirational and motivational leadership throughout the School which is guided by the requirements and responsibilities as set out in the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions document
- Understand relevant current and proposed legislation and enthusiastically engage with the opportunities they offer for enhancing the School's performance as measured by Ofsted
- Effectively engage and motivate pupils, staff and parents using inter-personal skills and high professional standards in order to improve standards of teaching, learning and achievement
- Create a school ethos which engenders high standards of behaviour and regard for others and which results in a happy, safe and stimulating school environment
- ensure policies and strategies are in place which safeguard the welfare of pupils and staff
- Fulfil the requirements of all relevant DFE legislation.
How to Apply
All completed application forms are to be returned to Fearghal.Byrne@rsblind.co.uk
Due to Covid restrictions, the Charity cannot facilitate a visit prior to application. Candidates shortlisted will be offered an individual tour of the School and Charity campus on an agreed date before their interview. Interviews will be carried out in a Covid safe manner and will adhere to the Government guidance. It is our intention to spread interviews out across four days to facilitate social distancing.
Suitable face coverings will also be worn by all those involved in the process. Safeguarding: We consider safeguarding as our highest priority and have a safeguarding culture. The post will be subject to a range of pre-employment checks, including an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Closing Date: Thursday 4th March 2021
Short Listing Date: Tuesday 9th March 2021
Interview Date: Monday 15th March 2021
2nd Interview Date: Tuesday 16th March 2021
3rd Interview Date: Wednesday 17th March 2021
Royal School for The Blind