Myanmar International School Yangon, MISY, is an English National Curriculum, all age school in Yangon, Myanmar. The school has some 590 students of which about 90% are local nationals, with a sprinkling of expatriate students. MISY offers the full English National Curriculum from the EYFS up to A level exams. The school is a member of CAIE (Cambridge Assessment and International Education). MISY is a national leader in special needs education. The school is active in community service and regularly supports local charities. The very active student council is deeply involved in this. MISY has growing Drama and Music programmes and an enviable sports tradition. MISY is one of the outward faces of a country which has only in recent years opened up to the world. MISY students are encouraged as a matter of school policy, to become world citizens and environmentalists. MISY is presently applying for CIS membership.
The successful candidate to lead our school will have the following:
Academic and other qualifications and experience
- Masters Degree, preferably in Education or Education Management;
- Secondary School Expertise: Structure, Management, Curriculum and CAIE exams;
- Strong understanding of the English National Curriculum from primary level right up to 6th form in order to develop and enhance the academic progress of all MISY children with a long term approach.
- experienced and able to lead a whole school in all aspects by showing flexibility, resilience, working well under pressure, time limits and manage their time effectively;
- be an excellent administrator, able to follow protocols and guidelines;
- lead teams in an inclusive way;
- lead and communicate closely with the Head of Primary and Head of Secondary as well as with the Head of the Special Needs Department to shape the school;
- be an outstanding role model for the exemplary values, behaviour and care we would expect of our staff and children;
- understand the needs of students for whom English is not their first language;
- be an excellent, open communicator with all stakeholders, including other senior leaders, teachers, teaching assistants, students, parents, Parent Teacher Association (PTA) and local staff;
- aspire to understand and learn all about the local culture and incorporate aspects of it into our school culture;
- be sensitive to the cultural differences the various stakeholders may encounter working in Myanmar in an international setting;
- promote a positive school culture.
Experience of CIS application procedures or working at a CIS accredited school would be an advantage but is not essential.
Liaising with the Board of Directors (BOD)
- In cooperation with the Board of Directors, have the ambition and determination to develop MISY into the best school it can be.
- Liaising with the BOD to grow and shape MISY as it continues to develop.
- Communicate effectively with the BOD on all aspects of the school on a regular basis.
- Be a great team player and work with all stakeholders and the BOD openly and proactively to contribute to the development of MISY as a whole.
How to Apply
In order to apply, please submit the following documents:
- a one page covering letter that sets out your interest in the position, how you meet the requirements of the role and your ambitions for the school;
- a full CV;
- full contact details of three professional referees.
- police clearance.
The following statement must also be included in your application, either as part of your covering letter or as a separate document, and must be signed. A scanned signature is acceptable at this point in the application process. "I confirm that I have not been convicted of any criminal offences or been involved in any disciplinary proceedings that have led to me being barred from working with school aged children."
To: Ms Elisabeth Kind, Academic Adviser to the Board of Directors, E-mail; email@example.com
MISY is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to respect this commitment. The post is subject to an appropriate criminal background check and satisfactory reference checks.