Aldar Academies is currently seeking an outstanding Head of Secondary at Al Bateen Academy in Abu Dhabi commencing April 2021.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
Al Bateen opened in September 2011 to provide high quality education for students from the ages of 4 to 18. The school follows the IB PYP for FS2 to Year 3, English National Curriculum, with an international dimension, in Years 7 to 9. In Years 10 and 11 students complete their I/GCSE qualifications and in Years 12 and 13 study the prestigious International Baccalaureate (IB DP) Programme. Primary was introduced in 2019 and expansion is planned for all year groups over the next few years.
We aim to provide an outstanding international, holistic education in a creative, safe, caring and inclusive learning environment. Al Bateen offers an extensive curriculum with world class facilities including science labs, a drama studio, and auditorium, DT specialist workshops for resistant materials, textiles, graphics, electronics and food, PE areas including full- sized astroturf pitch, indoor pool, dance studio, art rooms for ceramics, photography and an IB studio. Students have a wide range of subjects and learning activities to participate in both during lessons and after school.
Al Bateen is an inclusive school with outstanding results at both IGCSE and IB level, with students achieving significantly higher than national and international standards. We want our students to achieve and develop the necessary skills and competences needed for study at university and their chosen career. If you are a dedicated teacher or leader who is passionate about supporting student learning and wants to work in a rewarding and innovative international school, then Al Bateen could be your next professional challenge.
The successful candidates will be closely aligned with our core values and ethos and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
The Head of Secondary is an executive member of the leadership team, reporting directly to the Principal. The lead administer for the secondary school, he/she oversees the academic, social and emotional welfare of students in Years 7 – 13. And is responsible for managing and reporting all issues concerning the secondary school including but not limited to curriculum, policies, procedures, staff health and welfare, communication. The Head of secondary plays a key role in putting Al Bateen Academy mission into practice and contributes to the whole school development.
• To ensure a safe and secure environment that allows for appropriate social, emotional, and academic growth for all students.
• To ensure that the secondary school programme is compiled with the legal, financial and organisational structures of the institution.
• To Support the Principal in strategic planning and developing policies and procedures for the purpose of achieving the school’s vision, mission and goals, and compliance with accreditation guidelines, international education standards, local laws and regulations.
• To oversight of operational aspects of the secondary school ensuring development and quality assurance of the programme, including but not limited to curriculum development, extra-curricular activities, staff evaluation and development, information technology, timetabling, etc.
• To monitor the effectiveness of school practice and the impact on students learning, and is knowledgeable about current curriculum, instruction and assessment practice.
• Is an advocate and spokesperson for the school to all stakeholders and established strong lines of communication with teachers, parents and students.
• Is directly involved in the design and implementation of curriculum, instruction, and assessment practices.
• To ensure that staff are provided with the necessary resources and professional development for successful execution of their assigned duties and responsibilities.
• To work collaboratively with the other leadership team to address all school related matters. And ensure that all relevant operational structures, such as the master timetable supervision roster, etc, are effectively and efficiently designed and implemented.
• To supervise the instructional programmes of the school, evaluating lesson plans and observing lessons on regular basis to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with research on learning and child growth and development.
• Minimum of a master degree and certification in Educational Leadership.
• Teaching experience at secondary level in an international school.
• Minimum of five years of secondary school administrative experience as Assistant/Associate Principal or Head of Division in an international school setting.
• Leadership experience in curriculum development, instructional strategies and standards based assessment.
Job Specific Knowledge & Skills
• Knowledge of IB Programmes and developments
• Knowledge of UAE Ministry of Education and ADEK regulations relating to curriculum, assessment and compliance
• Recent IB CPD
Personal/ Leadership Qualities
• Commitment to the ideals of international education.
• Ability to prioritise projects and tasks, and to respond to simultaneous requests from various areas.
• Ability to initiate and manage change in the work environment.
• Ability to identify problems, achieve effective solutions, resolve conflict, motivate staff and foster collaboration, and promote sound decision making.
• Flexibility, patience and egalitarian approach.
What we offer
Aldar Academies are a family of world-class, child centred and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 20,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational and dedicated school leaders. We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, housing and free child school places. Our future-focussed learning model includes both students and staff and so we place a special emphasis on professional development, coaching and training. Successful candidates will have access to a wide network of professionals and opportunities to both lead and contribute to training others as well as developing themselves.
Aldar Academies are keen to hear from like-minded, forward thinking school leaders who would welcome the challenge and opportunities that we have to offer.
A covering letter and CV including details of two referees should be sent via TES portal.
Aldar Education is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people, and any offer of appointment will be subject to any relevant medical checks and clearance from appropriate safeguarding authorities.
Al Bateen Academy
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of age 11 - 18 years
Welcome to Al Bateen Academy
Al Bateen opened in September 2011 to provide high quality education from the ages of 4 to 18. The school follows the IB PYP for FS2 to Year 3, English National Curriculum, with an international dimension, in Years 7 to 9...