British Council School Madrid
2,000 pupils|2-18 years|Co-Educational|BSO, NABSS
The British Council School Madrid board is currently seeking to appoint an outstanding , caring and dedicated professional to the position of Head of Section for its Secondary School, to support the Head by leading the Secondary Section and contributing to the strategic priorities at whole school level. This position would be a full-time appointment on a permanent local contract, starting September 2021.
The new Head of Secondary will provide academic and pastoral leadership, working closely with a team of 90 professionals composed of teaching staff, senior and middle leaders, serving the 900+ students and their families.
About the British Council School - Madrid, Spain
The British Council School was established in Madrid in 1940, at a time when Europe was facing the challenge of the rise of fascism. The school has always offered a bilingual and bicultural education, underpinned by its objective to develop future citizens with the core values of loyalty, flexibility, resilience, caring and challenge . The school facilitates cultural relations engagement with key target audiences through a high-quality, bilingual and bi-cultural curriculum to a school community of 2,000 children from 2 to 18 years of age. The school is part of the British Council , the United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities worldwide. It is an integral part of their work in Spain and one of their flagship instruments of cultural relations.
The British Council School is a thriving, co-educational day school with superb facilities set on a large, well linked, modern campus. It is one of the most prestigious Schools in Spain, rated as outstanding in every category in its most recent BSO inspections. It achieves excellent results, both in Spanish and UK examination systems, and prepares its graduates to attend universities in Spain, the UK and around the world. Many of their more than 10,000 Alumni students - of both Spanish and other nationalities - have achieved significant professional recognition. The bond between the school and its students lasts a lifetime, thanks to the strong ties that it fosters during school life.
One of the School's main objectives is to enable students to demonstrate that they live and breathe the school's values, as well as the qualities required by universities and companies around the world, such as leadership, team work, negotiation skill and entrepreneurship.
The British Council and the school support a national network of state bilingual schools. School staff lead on training, offer shadowing opportunities and participate in a range of system wide and school specific improvement and development activities.
Our academic programme encourages passion and achievement in sciences and technology, languages, literature, the dramatic arts, sports and public speaking . High levels of pastoral care are achieved through our vertical Family System , which we believe enables our pupils to be the best that they can be.
Annual cohorts of over 130 students achieve outstanding results at IGCSE level in Year 11. Our students go on to achieve continued success at Sixth Form, through the BiBac (Bilingual Spanish Baccalaureate). British Council School Madrid students go on to study at leading Universities world-wide such as Oxford, Cambridge, Yale and Stanford.
Why Come to Madrid?
Our school is located just 12 kilometres from the heart of Madrid , a vibrant and thriving cosmopolitan city. Our staff has the chance to live and work in a place of great history, culture and cuisine. Opportunities are endless for travel, sport and entertainment, both in the city and country-wide; Spain is one of the top destinations in the world for leisure and holidays.
What do we offer our Staff?
- The opportunity to work with enthusiastic, happy and confident children who enjoy learning
- A welcoming and supportive network of colleagues
- Competitive salaries and fee remission for children of staff members
- An extensive welcome, relocation and integration programme to help new teachers and their families settle into Madrid
- Ongoing and robust professional development opportunities
- Subsidised English or Spanish language courses
- Free annual health check-ups and flu vaccines
- Private health insurance at a reduced rate
- Discounted meals in our canteen, gym membership and free bus travel to and from school
- Demonstrable experience of successful leadership in high-performing schools, either in the UK or internationally
- Complete fluency in written and spoken English
- An independent level of spoken Spanish, or a commitment to achieving it with our support
- A real desire to live and exemplify our school motto, 'Be the best you can be'
- English to the level of, or a level comparable to, first language communicator
- Ambition, passion and dedication to guide, inspire and challenge young children
- A drive for professional development, continued outstanding practice and challenge
- A minimum of 2 years teaching experience, in the last 5 years, in the Secondary phase of a UK, international or bilingual school
- A good working knowledge of the latest UK practices
- An entitlement to live and work in Spain
How to Apply
You will need to apply via the British Council Careers site following this LINK .
We will acknowledge your application via e-mail. Make sure to check your spam folder for replies.
Please note we accept applications from international candidates.
Should you have any questions, please contact
Enclosed below you will find the British Council Behaviours and Core Skills for your reference, and to assist you in filling in the Application Form.
The British Council School, Madrid
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 2 - 18 years
DFE 6069|URN 142417|College Board School Code 792464
Head of School: Ms. Mercedes Hernandez Estrada
The British Council School is a bilingual and bi-cultural, non selective co-educational day school ...