Due the upcoming maternity leave of our current Head of Year 8, we are seeking applications from dedicated, hardworking, highly skilled and knowledgeable professionals with a desire to work in a highly successful, happy, well-resourced, exceptional non-selective 11-18 Academy. Applicants must be experienced, enthusiastic and self-motivated, with strong organisational skills, and ready to play a significant role as Head of Year 8. This will be a full-time post, for one-year fixed term in the first instance.
You must be:
- An outstanding practitioner with a proven track record of raising attainment for students.
- A confident and competent user of data and be able to empower others in its use to support outstanding pedagogy.
- Able to work with the Assistant Head of Year, Learning Development Team, tutors and be the lead link between students, staff and parents.
- Able to lead and take a proactive approach on standards, including attendance, attainment, promoting high expectations and ensuring that all learners achieve their core aim and make progress.
- Able to promote and monitor student safety and wellbeing
- Able to communicate, enthuse and empower staff and implement ideas, monitoring the effectiveness of the Academy’s policies.
- Able to identify and have an acute understanding of the strengths and areas for development in relation to student behaviour. Having high standards that both support and challenge to help all students be the best that they can be.
We are a split site, semi-rural, mixed 11–18 non-selective converter academy with approximately 1,467 students, including over 240 students in our Sixth Form. We are situated centrally in Crowborough on the outskirts of the Ashdown Forest, an area of outstanding natural beauty. We are close to Tunbridge Wells and the South Coast. The vast majority of our staff travel to Beacon from a variety of destinations within the South East, including Brighton, Eastbourne, Lewes and Tunbridge Wells.
We work meticulously to secure a culture of unapologetically high expectations that are underpinned by our collective, uncompromising belief and ambition for the students of Beacon Academy, and for the experienced, loyal, highly skilled and highly effective team of staff that teach them, allowing teachers to teach and students to learn in a school where leadership, management, behaviour and welfare are all judged as outstanding. The Academy and the Department of Psychology are committed to the development of both its staff and students.
Beacon Academy takes a leading role in recruiting and training new entrants to the profession. We invest in our teachers through our Early Career Teacher (ECT) programme and have chosen to partner with UCL and Sussex Schools Alliance for the delivery of the Early Career Framework and with Brighton & Hove Education & Enterprise Marketplace as our Appropriate Body. High quality professional development is a priority, and we have seven Specialist Leaders of Education across a variety of areas on our staff body.
In 2019, Beacon Partnership was selected by the Chartered College, the professional body for teaching, to deliver the prestigious Chartered Teacher (CTeach) Programme in East and West Sussex, Kent and Brighton and Hove. We are currently supporting several staff on the Chartered College of Teaching Certificate of Evidence Informed Practice and NPQs from UCL Institute of Education in partnership with Sussex Coast Schools Alliance.
We secure excellent outcomes for our students. In 2019 our Progress 8 score was 0.97. As a non-selective, non-denominational, non-fee-paying school, we are immensely proud and delighted to have received this confirmation, once again, of our high-ranking position. We are in an esteemed group of 6% of schools nationally who are now categorised as ‘well above average’ for two years in a row. There are approximately 25 schools nationally who have been above us for each of the last three years (0.7% of all schools). As ever, this is a reflection of our vision and our determination to consistently provide the best possible education for all of our students, and to become an exceptional school for our community, both locally and nationally.
To apply, please visit www.beacon-academy.org
Closing date: 10am on Thursday 23rd September 2021
NB: we advise applying promptly for this post as we reserve the right to close and interview early if sufficient suitable applications have been received.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to Enhanced DBS clearance and suitable references.
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
Thank you for your interest in Beacon Academy
We are a split site, semi-rural, mixed 11–18 non-selective converter academy with approximately 1,467 students, including over 240 students in our Sixth Form. We are situated centrally in Crowboro...