Location Central & North Coasts - Newcastle & Hunter Valley
Advertisement Number A900097985
Number of Positions 1
Total Remuneration Package: Remuneration package valued at $137,486.00. This position attracts a base salary of $124,038.00, plus leave loading and employer's contribution to superannuation.
School Name Newcastle High School
Principal Network Newcastle
Staffing Area Newcastle
FTE 1.000Contact Name Joy Lord
Contact Phone number 0249693177
Closing Date 03-Mar-2021
Job Category TCH Other
Organisation Teaching Service
Newcastle High School is a large, inclusive and diverse comprehensive school, situated on two sites in the centre of the City of Newcastle. The Parkway Avenue, Hamilton South site caters for students from Year 7 through to Year 12, with a diverse, mainstream curriculum. The Cooks Hill Campus (CHC) site on Laman & Union Streets, delivers an alternative curriculum in partnership with Big Picture Australia Education and caters for students from Year 9 through to Year 12. The position of Head Teacher Mathematics is on the Parkway Avenue site. Student enrolment in 2021 is 1259, with approximately 130 students at CHC; 10% identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander; 7% have English as an additional language or dialect; and there is a Support Unit made up of seven classes.
The learning community of Newcastle High School takes great pride in the promotion of tolerance and good citizenship among students, creating a caring and inclusive environment. Opportunities available for students reflect the domains of academic, sporting, creative, cultural, performing arts and public speaking endeavours. Our School Vision states that, “Newcastle High School is an inclusive, diverse community that demonstrates a passion for learning underpinned by determination, hard work and a shared responsibility for growth in all areas of endeavours. Through respectful and meaningful connections, we build resilience and perseverance in order to develop goals that help us expand our creativity, knowledge and understanding.”
Specific Selection Criteria
Applicants must satisfy the teacher training and academic qualification requirements for this position. In addition to the general selection criteria
- Approval to teach Mathematics 7-10 and willingness to teach Mathematics Extension I and II, with a thorough understanding of the current mathematics curriculum.
- Proven capacity to lead curriculum and assessment improvement, using data analysis and evidence-based practice focused on HSC excellence and high potential students.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and implement innovative, engaging, differentiated and highly effective teaching, learning and assessment practices within mathematics, to improve student learning outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to lead personalised and whole school numeracy programs to improve outcomes for a diverse range of learners including Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander students, high potential students and those with additional learning needs.
- Highly developed organisational, communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to inspire, develop and lead staff at all stages of their career, to promote a high-quality teaching, learning and leadership culture.
- Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively with the executive team to lead, manage and implement whole school processes and initiatives that support the school’s strategic directions.
General Selection Criteria
1. Successful teaching experience with capacity to initiate improvement in teaching, learning and classroom practice
2. Knowledge of curriculum, assessment and student welfare with the ability to lead and design quality, inclusive teaching and learning programs
3. Educational leadership skills to build the capacity and manage the performance of individuals and teams
4. Well developed communication and interpersonal skills with the capacity to build relationships and engage students, staff and parents
5. Ability to plan and manage resources effectively and equitably to support teaching and learning
6. Knowledge of and commitment to the Department's Aboriginal education policies
An unconditional full approval to teach is a requirement. If you do not hold a full approval to teach with the NSW Department of Education, you are required to commence the application process at the same time as you apply for this teaching opportunity.