Responsible to: The School Governors
Salary: L4 – L6 (Leadership Group Pay Range) dependent on skills and experience
Hours: Full time
Owlswick Independent School and Home are seeking to appoint a dynamic, experienced and motivated Headteacher who will lead our school team and develop our school from September 2018.
We are a day and residential school for up to 11 young people aged 10 – 16 with SEMH. The school is located in the beautiful Lewes countryside in East Sussex and is 20 minutes away from the lively city of Brighton. The school currently educates boys however is set up as a co-educational facility.
With the committed support from our education and care teams our students are able to overcome often long standing significant barriers to learning and attending school. We understand that it in order for our young people to fully participate in and enjoy their learning and education they need to be able to manage any emotional and traumatic experiences from their past lives. Our staff team is experienced in supporting, motivating and rewarding students and use creative and flexible approaches to teaching based around individual need informed by the principles from the Thrive therapeutic programme. We have been assessed by Ofsted as being a ‘Good’ provider.
We aim for all students to learn and acquire skills, qualifications and competencies which will support them in their future lives as independent, resilient young adults who will be able to take their place in the wider community.
We are looking for a Headteacher who possesses:
- Excellent leadership, organisational and management skills
- The skill to develop staff and promote a creative approach to learning and experience of education
- An ability to demonstrate achievements gained and experience of students with SEND (and ideally individuals who have been regularly and/or permanently excluded from school) who exhibit challenging behaviours
- A commitment to a culture of continuous improvement that promotes excellence for staff and students alike and builds on our current Ofsted rating as ‘Good’.
- A full understanding of process involving young people in care, safeguarding and child protection and acting as a Designated Safeguarding Lead
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to be extremely approachable and visible to all of our students, staff and parents/carers
- A genuine belief and commitment that all children and young people can experience success
We can offer:
- Good parking with direct access to the school building in the grounds
- Contributory pension scheme
- Support and guidance from an experienced senior management team that works across home and school
- Opportunities for CPD
For an application pack please contact 01273 4730878 or email firstname.lastname@example.org CV’s will not be accepted and only applications submitted on the Owlswick School and Home will be accepted. For further information about Owlswick please visit our website on www.owlswickschool.co.uk.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role, please contacts Sarah Hawke, Chair of the Governors on 02173 473078. Visits to the school will be part of the interview process.
Owlswick School and Home is committed to the safeguarding and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all of its employees to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure check and other recruitment checks as required for this post.
Closing date for applications: 22nd June 2018 by 5.00pm
Interview date: 28th and 29th June 2018