Job Reference : 04103
Nord Anglia International School, The Americas - New York is seeking a full time IMYC/Humanities (Year 5 - Year 9) Teacher in the East Village, NY beginning August 2018.
Job Purpose: To be the lead advocate and teacher for the school’s international curriculum including the International Middle Years Curriculum (IEYC) and the International Primary Curriculum (IPC) and to identify and provide effective support to students requiring additional education needs in the school, including but not limited to providing training and support for class teachers.
Responsibilities: IMYC / IPC
- Be the sole teacher of the IMYC (Years 7 – 9) and IPC (Years 5 – 6) in Upper School
- Be responsible for overseeing planning and delivery of the international curriculum to ensure continuity and progression for the IPC (Years 1 – 6) and IMYC (Years 7 – 9
- Oversee effective assessment and reporting of IPC and IMYC
- Proactively promote the features and benefits of the international curriculum at every opportunity through effective displays, promotional collateral, information evenings and any other effective means necessary
- Be proactive in researching, evaluating and preparing for possible IMYC / IPC external accreditation
- Stay abreast of and ensure best practice from other IEYC / IPC schools is effectively shared with colleagues delivering the IPC in the Lower School (Year 1 – 4 inclusive)
Responsibilities: Teaching and Learning/Humanities Focus
- Plan and deliver teaching and learning activities in line with the school’s curriculum and to maximise student engagement and learning.
- Ensure learning objectives are clear, appropriate and understood by students at all times.
- Ensure effective leadership and management of learning assistants at all times, ensuring clear expectations and regular feedback is given at all times
- Provide clear structure for lessons, maintaining pace and challenge throughout.
- Ensure effective differentiation by planning activities for the whole class, groups and individuals, which motivate and challenge all students.
- Ensure there are opportunities for independent and collaborative learning.
- Ensure there are opportunities for peer and self-assessment to support learning.
- Ensure effective behaviour and resource management.
- Use a variety of teaching strategies to personalise learning to maximise student motivation.
- Set high and encourage high expectations at all times.
- Identify and adapt lessons & resources to meet the needs of students who are very able, have Special Educational Needs, are Gifted and / or Talented or are not yet fluent in English.
- Be proactive in adapting learning activities to support students’ SMSC needs and the school’s collaborative links with Julliard, MIT and UNICEF at all times.
Establish a safe, supportive, attractive and stimulating learning environment.
Responsibilities: Monitoring, Assessment, Recording and Reporting
- Ensure effective use of assessment to assess how well learning objectives have been met and how planning can be improved to further enhance learning.
- Mark work and provide constructive & personalised feedback in line with school policy.
- Provide personalised written reports relating to student progress and next learning steps.
Other Professional Requirements:
- Be an effective class teacher / form tutor as maybe required.
- Be a true school ambassador for planned or impromptu prospective parent tours.
- Establish effective working relationships with colleagues, parents and visitors.
- Set high expectations through personal presentation and conduct.
- Be an ambassador for the school during and outside school hours at all times.
- Keep up-to-date with current educational practice and professional development as required.
- Provide at least one engaging CCA per week.
- Be proactive in understanding and working with the school’s policies and procedures.
- Undertake any other task as reasonably requested by the Principal.
- All staff are required to manage effective personal development as part of the Company’s commitment to invest in staff as the key resource in the organization.
- All Staff must ensure that they meet their statutory responsibilities with regard to Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities and other relevant legislation, and should conform to the professional and ethical requirements.