Aldar Academies are seeking an outstanding International Baccalaureate Diploma Coordinator for Al Bateen Academy commencing Academic Term 2021-2022.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
Al Bateen Academy is located in the center of the city of Abu Dhabi and is a hugely popular school based in a vibrant community. The school is a high achieving British and IB World School (Years 7 to 13) easily exceeding IB Diploma global averages year on year and achieving outstanding I/GCSE results. The school recently expanded into primary years, starting with FS2 to Year 3, and this will develop each year to include a full primary provision, FS2 to Year 6. The Primary Years Programme (PYP) is an exciting addition and will eventually provide the community with an all through school from FS1 to Year 13 offering PYP, UK and IB Diploma options.
The successful candidate will be closely aligned with the core values and ethos of Aldar Academies and Al Bateen Academy and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
- To lead and manage all aspects of the Senior School’s IB Diploma Programme.
- Oversee and implement all regulations and policies as published by the IBO, outlined in the DP Handbook of Procedures.
- Ensure all IB Diploma subject areas have clear supporting documentation, and that the curriculum is delivered in line with the authorizing examining body.
- Support all Heads of Department with reviewing and developing the curriculum provision for the IB Diploma.
- Provide support and guidance for internal assessments and define clear expectations for the completion of such assessments.
- Ensure all examinations are conducted following IBO and JCQ regulations (working with examinations officer).
- Ensure all components of the IB Diploma including Extended Essay, TOK and CAS are implemented and managed in a successful manner.
- Make sure there is a well-planned calendar of events that supports students with their academic requirements, including a university fair to be held each academic year, and university applications.
- Ensure the smooth transition of students from Middle School (Years 10 & 11) to the Senior School (Years 12 & 13), providing them with the necessary academic and personal guidance to be successful in the Senior School.
- Ensure students set academic and personal targets that are reviewed and monitored closely.
- Organise and lead information evenings relevant to the IB Programme, including parent evenings.
- Develop strong links with universities to support students with their further education aspirations.
- Lead and performance manage all members of the IB administrative/ support team and designated Heads of Department.
- Provide ongoing support and training for colleagues in specific areas: reference writing, university guidance support, Extended Essay supervision.
- Work as a collaborative member of the SLT.
- Take responsibility for relevant sections of the school improvement plan, CIS accreditation, school SEF and ADEK inspections, and lead whole school initiatives aimed at fostering further school improvement.
- Line manages specific department/subject areas as assigned, working collaboratively with the HOD to ensure high standards are in place.
- Deliver high quality lessons on a significantly reduced timetable.
- Participation in school activities.
- Any other duties as directed by the Principal.
- Minimum qualifications:
- PGCE or equivalent teaching qualification.
- Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
- Master’s Degree is desirable.
- Minimum Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as an IB DP Coordinator.
Job Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Leadership experience in a secondary/ high school environment.
- IB DP teaching experience.
- Experience of leading whole school initiatives that have led to demonstrable improvement in standards and achievement.
- Experience of working in more than one IB World School.
- Dynamic and innovative leader.
- Commitment to IB Philosophy and school’s ethos and aims.
- Passion for education, teaching and a belief in the potential of every student.
- Ability to work under pressure, problem-solve, deal with challenging situations and be resilient.
- Interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders.
- Commitment to continuing professional development (CPD).
What we offer
Aldar Academies are a family of world-class, child centered, and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 25,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational, and dedicated school leaders. We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, housing, and free child school places. Our future-focused learning model includes both students and staff and so we place a special emphasis on professional development, coaching and training.
Successful candidates will have access to a wide network of professionals and opportunities to both lead and contribute to training others as well as developing themselves.
Aldar Academies are keen to hear from like-minded, forward thinking school leaders who would welcome the challenge and opportunities that we have to offer.
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.
Aldar Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.
A covering letter and CV including details of two referees should be submitted.
As much as we would be delighted to entertain all applicants, due to high volume of applications and robust selection process, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 15 business days.
You must meet the following requirements for a visa or working permit:
- 2 years teaching experience.
- A degree related to subject taught.
- B. Ed, Bachelors with Teaching Qualification, PGCE or PGDE or similar teaching qualification.
- Proficient in English.
- Should hold a valid passport from either Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States.
- References, Medical check, Criminal background check
- Over 24 and below 58 years of age
Al Bateen Academy
United Arab Emirates
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of age 11 - 18 years
Welcome to Al Bateen Academy
Al Bateen opened in September 2011 to provide high quality education from the ages of 4 to 18. The school follows the IB PYP for FS2 to Year 3, English National Curriculum, with an international dimension, in Years 7 to 9...