Working as an SEN Teaching Assistant
Working as a Teaching Assistant within SEN can be a challenging role, but a hugely rewarding one full of variety and enjoyment. The role of a Teaching Assistant is of high importance in catering for the needs of individual students you may work with. There will be aspects of reading and writing difficulties, the ability to understand certain things, behaviour issues or difficulty with concentration. In some cases physical ability will be affected as well and personal care may be involved. The SEN needs we work with most commonly involve Autism, Multiple Learning Difficulties and Profound Multiple Learning Difficulties as well as behavioural problems.
You will need to communicate efficiently with all staff involved and help to provide a focused, controlled and methodical learning environment. You will be able to build rapport with pupils of a wide variety of ages through various methods whilst being empathetic and supportive of individual needs. You will need to be an individual who has the ability to remain calm and confident in situations that can be challenging.
We would prefer an individual to have a Level 3 Teaching Assistant award or equivalent; other qualifications within SEN such as moving and handling will be advantageous in getting you the best roles. A Level 2 TA Qualification will be accepted as a minimum and you will need to have a school based reference within the last 2 years. In addition you will need previous experience of assisting children within an SEN environment.
Those with experience in Makaton, PECS & Team Teach are highly suited to the roles we offer and are all desirable qualifications, as well as knowledge of Personal Care.
Why work for ABC?
Working on a supply basis is an excellent way to gain valuable experience in a paid position that can be flexible to your own needs. With SEN schools – if you make a good impression and really sell yourself they often ask for you back; it’s a great way to potential set yourself up for permanent positions if long term work is needed. You will be able to control the days you wish to work and in a variety of schools, learning new skills at each position and developing your working style by seeing how other work in different environments.
You will have a dedicated consultant working for your area with detailed knowledge of local schools and we are the only agency in the area to be partnered with TES. We are also REC accredited and have met strict guidelines in achieving this – the agency equivalent of Ofsted.
What to do next:
· To be considered for this position you will be required to attend a face to face registration and hold an enhanced DBS check in Child Workforce. You will need to pay for this upfront, but once you are fully registered, have uploaded this onto the Update Service and have worked 1 full day with us then we will reimburse you the cost. At the registration we will discuss in more detail the work that you are looking for, your experience to date, and also how we are going to work best for you.
· We will need to gain academic references to cover the last 12 months, one of which must be a school based reference. Our compliance team have a rigorous safeguarding and clearance process and this is how we know we are working with the best possible team of staff to employ in our schools.
· Click to apply today! Or contact Richard Stonehouse by sending your CV to: email@example.com or call 01543 410500 to discuss registering with us further.
· Once you are fully cleared for work then you will be contacted by your consultant who will be able to tell you more about the roles currently available and what may be suitable to yourself. Each of our consultants covers their own individual areas across from the Midlands and across Staffordshire.
· ABC Teachers are an REC Gold Standard Awarded Education Agency, part of TES. Candidates pay rates are competitive and in line with the AWR policy which means that after a qualifying period, supply teachers can be paid to the comparable scale offered by the school.
· We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff to share this commitment. All staff will hold an enhanced DBS disclosure (or be prepared to allow us to process one for you), need to provide professional or academic references and attend a face to face interview. A prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Telephone calls to and/or from ABC Teachers may be recorded for training, safeguarding and compliance purposes.
· Telephone calls to and/or from ABC Teachers may be recorded for training, safeguarding and compliance purposes.
· If you haven’t yet found what you are looking for, keep up to date with us on social media:
- Website: http://www.abc-teachers.co.uk/
- Twitter: @SupplyTeach
- Facebook: https://en-eg.facebook.com/ABCTEACHERS