All staff members at ICS are responsible for ensuring that their practice inside and outside the classroom is in harmony with the educational philosophy of the school. All teachers are members of departmental, grade level and secondary teams and as such share responsibility for positively supporting school change as outlined in the school’s strategic plan.
The Junior University and Careers Counsellor supports the Universities and Careers Counsellor in providing effective tools to support students in identifying career pathways and the most optimal means of achieving appropriate work or university placement. Further he or she is an expert in North American university applications within the College Counselling department.
- Provide workshops, information sessions and literature to educate students and parents about North American university applications.
- Provide timely information about scholarships available for North American universities.
- Provide information about North American university summer schools.
- Provide practical support to students in choosing North American universities/colleges.
- Complete paperwork for North American university admissions by required deadlines and support students in meeting their deadlines and application commitments.
- Write college counsellor recommendation letters for North American applications.
- Support the Universities and Careers Counsellor, where appropriate, in the delivery of Grade 11 core curriculum lessons and also Grade 10, 11 and 12 PDP lessons.
- In collaboration with the IB coordinator and Universities and Careers Counsellor, monitor student applications as well as their academic achievement, anticipated grades and entrance requirements for North American universities.
- Support the Universities and Careers Counsellor in the arrangement of university fairs.
- Administer the pSAT once a year for Grades 9 to 12 students.
- Support students with SAT/ACT exam registration and preparation, and also for other tests such as TOEFL/IELTs.
- Support with the required input for the School Profile and Board report every year.
- Participate in the G10, 11 and 12 parent/teacher conferences.
- Support the IB Coordinator and Universities and Careers Counsellor in the anticipated grades process.
- Support with Grade 10 parent/student IB subject options meetings.
- Attend all whole school and secondary staff meetings.
- Teach the Personal Development Programme to the class for which he/she is a tutor.
- Supervise Personal Projects and Extended Essays as required.
- Contribute to the field trip programme.
- Assist, as requested, with coverage of classes for absent colleagues.
- Assist, as requested, with the administration of exams.
Please note that as part of the responsibilities of supporting students and families through the North American university admissions process, the University and Careers Counsellor will need to be available for face to face meetings when IB results are released in early July, and in the days immediately following the release of results.
Desirable Experience, Understanding and Competencies
- A thorough understanding of the IB Diploma Programme (DP).
- Knowledge and experience of the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP).
- At least 2 years experience in North American university applications.
- Experience as a university counsellor within an international school.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- High degree of competence in using technology for both learning and information management purposes.
- Skilled collaboration and a commitment teamwork.
- A positive attitude together with a solutions-focused approach towards education.
- An ongoing commitment to continually grow and learn as a professional.
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Empathy, compassion and a high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Ability to work with students and families in a patient and flexible manner.
Terms and conditions
The initial contract is for two years and is renewable. The generous salary and range of benefits will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate, with the overall package reflecting the importance of the position.
Interested candidates should email a full letter of application, a statement of personal educational philosophy, detailed resume/curriculum vitae, and three referees. The Head of School reserves the right to apply directly to the writers of open testimonials for confidential statements.
Applications should be adressed to:
Ms Mary-Lyn Campbell,
Head of School
We are looking forward to receive your online application.
ICS Inter-Community School Zurich
- Mainstream school with state funding
- All-through School
- Students of age 2 - 18 years