Wenona is seeking a dynamic and passionate temporary Mathematics teacher to join our outstanding Mathematics faculty and to inspire our young women through dynamic classroom practice, refined professional knowledge and a commitment to high performance.
At Wenona, we have an obligation to our profession to ensure the highest quality educational outcomes for our students. We foster a love of learning, inquiry and collaboration through our own role modelling of such practices in our work. We expect our teachers to be committed to their own professional development and to want to make a contribution to the broader educational community.
We view classroom teaching as a clinical practice, whereby teachers refine their skills and reflect on their own performance through the annual Wenona Improvement Cycle. This includes observed practice of our teaching by our colleagues and 360-degree feedback for all teachers.
Wenona supports both academic and support staff to develop their expertise through initiatives such as Wenona Teaching Fellowships, Seeding Grants and ongoing outstanding professional learning that develops and supports career development into the future.
This is a permanent, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2019. There is an opportunity for a candidate to be considered for the leadership position of Assistant Head of Mathematics if their experience and skills meet the criteria for this position. Please indicate interest in the Assistant Head of Mathematics in your cover letter.
- Experience in classroom teaching or working as a Mathematics teacher in a comprehensive school setting
- Ability to teach and aspire to the standards articulated in the Wenona Effective Teaching Cycle
- Understanding of contemporary teaching and learning pedagogies
- A commitment to Pastoral Care and meeting the social and emotional wellbeing needs of students
- An ongoing commitment to professional learning, including making a contribution to the broader education community
- An understanding of and commitment to the educational needs of young women
- A commitment to collaborative teaching practices and an ability to contribute to a team and faculty of professional educators
- A willingness to contribute to the broader life of the school community
- An ability to use ICT to facilitate and enrich student learning and engagement beyond the classroom
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate effectively and sensitively across a broad range of audiences
- Provide an appropriate academic challenge that allows each student to reach her potential
- Use a variety of teaching methods which will simulate learning appropriate to Student’s needs and the requirements of the syllabus
- Assess, record and provide feedback on the progress, development and attainment of Student’s and keep records as required
Wenona seeks to provide a child safe environment. Our School actively promotes the safety and wellbeing of our students, and our School staff are committed to protecting students from abuse or harm, in accordance with their legal and ethical obligations. Wenona’s Child Safe policies and practices and our Staff Code of Conduct are available on our website.
Education and Experience
- Qualifications and experience teaching Mathematics
- Ability to teach up to and including Stage 6 Mathematics courses
- Strong knowledge of NESA curriculum, HSC assessment practices and marking processes, including developments with the new Stage 6 Mathematics courses in NSW
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to engage and communicate with all stakeholders including students, parents and staff
- Ability to be solutions focused and data-driven in all decision making
- Desire to use flexibility and creativity in day-to-day activities
- A sense of humour
Wenona is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age.
In addition to your teaching duties, you will be required to participate in other areas of the School including playground duties, Pastoral Care, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities and school camps. Some of the duties will need to be performed at times outside the normal classroom teaching hours including weekends. These duties will be allocated on an appropriate pro-rata basis.
Please apply below, submitting a curriculum vitae, a cover letter, copies of qualifications and names of two referees. Applications should be addressed to Wenona Principal, Dr Briony Scott.
Please direct any questions or enquiries to PA to Deputy Principal Ms Michaela Malicki on (02) 9955 3000.
Closing date: 3pm Monday 13 August 2018.