Music Department Assistant
Reporting to the Director of Music, the Music Department Assistant has an important role to play in ensuring the smooth running of academic and co-curricular music as well as working closely with the peripatetic music teachers to coordinate the individual music lessons that take place each week. There will also be the opportunity to work with and lead some of the many ensembles that take place each week as well as working with individual pupils to support their academic work.
The role is an opportunity to play a significant part in supporting and developing the music department in a rapidly growing school. Music is an important part of the life of the school and provides opportunities for boys with interests in classical and contemporary music. There are over ten concerts each year from recital evenings to the Christmas Concert and the Brass Bash including concerts in the community and, last year, in Paris.
The post holder will be a member of the staff at Wetherby School and will work under the Director of Music to provide support for 20 hours each week. The post is term time only (plus ten days in the holidays). A degree of flexibility as to how those hours are arranged, depending on the performance schedule of the department, would be beneficial.
- Support with the teaching of academic music as required including:
- Support pupils studying for public examinations with aspects of their composition and coursework
- Work with the larger junior classes and help develop in them a love of music making and an appreciation of music
- Perform with ensembles and choirs or support pupils as an accompanist
- Help with the rehearsal of various ensembles
- Take responsibility for the administration of these events including the design of the programme
- Assist with the set up and break down of concerts
- Support the day to day running of the instrumental lessons of the department and work closely with the peripatetic teachers to ensure the programme runs smoothly
- Help input the data into Sims to ensure the smooth running of the instrumental lesson timetable (training will be given)
- Enter students for ABRSM and Rock School grades and oversee the administration of the exams
The successful applicant will have the following skills and qualities:
- A degree in Music
- Experience of leading rehearsals, performing as an accompanist and as a member of an ensemble
- A knowledge of Music Technology would be an advantage
- A friendly, outgoing personality with great communication skills
- Proven ability to relate well to teenage boys
- Looking for an opportunity to learn and develop valuable skills relevant to a number of future professional options
Applications should reach the school no later than Monday 28th October at 9.00am and interviews will be held from Wednesday 30th October.
Wetherby Senior School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.