We are seeking to appoint two new PE & Activities Teaching Assistants to join our PE & Activities staff team. The positions are designed to be fully residential: in addition to their role in the PE & Activities department, the successful candidates will have a role as Boarding Assistants in one of the school’s boarding houses. Accommodation within the boarding house is provided during the school’s term time in each case.
The role has two complementary dimensions. As a Teaching Assistant, you will be required to assist the PE teachers with the running of a wide-ranging programme of PE and other activities throughout the school; in the boarding house you will be required to support the Houseparents and to help with some aspects of the running of the House in which you will be living.
One of the positions that we are aiming to fill will be in Islip House, our brand new sixth form boarding house which opened in September 2017. The other will be in Nash House which is used to accommodate younger international students in Years 10 and 11.
The role could present an excellent career development opportunity for PE enthusiasts who are considering a career in teaching and/or coaching.
The successful candidates may have the opportunity to further their coaching qualifications through relevant courses. They will also be required to undertake a first aid qualification as well as the necessary training to gain a PCV qualification to enable them to drive a 17-seater minibus to transport students to and from sports and activities venues.
Person Specification and necessary Qualifications
Applicants must have:
- Either a degree in PE or a related subject, or other appropriate vocational qualifications and experience;
- Playing and, ideally, coaching experience in at least one, and preferably more than one, sport;
- A clean driving licence, since all the members of the PE department are regularly expected to drive the School’s minibuses for travel to and from sports venues.
In addition to the above, we are looking for candidates who:
- Are committed and passionate about PE and about teaching / coaching;
- Have a caring and cheerful personality and a demonstrable ability to relate to students, parents and colleagues with empathy and sensitivity;
- Have a mature, responsible, patient and resilient attitude to life and work;
- Have an ability to be firm while doing so in a friendly, engaging and respectful manner;
- Are reliable, responsible and well organised with strong communication skills;
- Have good, reliable and balanced judgement and the ability to think clearly and rationally in an emergency;
- Are good team players who will work well with colleagues and with students both in PE and Activities and in the boarding context;
- Have good practical and administrative skills.
For the proper performance of their duties, it will be essential for the successful candidates to be resident in the House at all times during term time (excluding scheduled time off of course).
In line with the proper performance of their duties, the successful candidates will be able to take meals in the House or in the school dining hall without charge during school term times.
Salary and pension
The starting salary in the post will be in the region of £15,000 pa. In addition, and as has already been mentioned, accommodation within one of the school’s boarding houses and meals are provided (during term time). The school has its own pension scheme which will be open to the successful candidates from the time that they join the school.
Please note that the role as set out above involves working through the school’s term times plus a day or two before and after each term to help with opening up and closing down the House.
However, there is the potential to earn additional income by working in a similar role (Activities and boarding) for a few weeks in the summer holidays on the annual summer English courses which are run by a partner organisation, Bucksmore Education, using our school buildings and boarding houses. This would be subject to a selection interview with Bucksmore Education staff nearer the time. The salary and terms of conditions of such summer employment will be separate from the terms of this contract and will be as agreed with Bucksmore Education as the employer.
If you would like any further information at this stage, please feel free to telephone Jonathan Cuff, Deputy Principal, Pastoral, on the main school number 01854 688600
Applicants should complete the Application form for a teaching post, and submit this, with a full CV and covering letter, to HR@doverbroecks.com and a signed copy sent to:
333 Banbury Road
The closing date for applications is 12 February 2018