Primary Inclusion Lead | Deira International School | Dubai
Deira International School, Festival City is a not for profit Premium 3-18 school and is part of the Al Futtaim Education Foundation portfolio. Founded in 2005, the school is renowned for providing an excellent inclusive and holistic education. DIS has a strong focus on academic progress and achievement. The student body has over 80 different nationalities and this diversity is fundamental to the community nature of the school. Exceptional facilities provide wonderful opportunities for a holistic approach to education; sport, performing arts, academic, technological, leadership and creative pathways are all on offer, ensuring our students enjoy enriching and varied school experiences within our classrooms and beyond. Although non-selective at admission, our students achieve exceptional exam results which compare to top UK schools.
The curriculum is based upon the English National Curriculum covering a diverse range of subjects. Our personalised, play-based and continuous provision in the Early Years ensures that students are rigorously assessed against the prime and specific areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage framework. This focuses on developing key learning skills and the foundations for accessing the Primary Curriculum. In primary, students receive an enriching and broad curriculum offer, which includes the delivery of several non-core subjects.
Al Futtaim Education Foundation (AFEF) owns and provides governance to Deira International School. AFEF aims to realise its vision of taking education in the UAE to the next level of future readiness and of preparing students for an increasingly globalised and technologically advanced world. Al Futtaim Education Foundation is an initiative of the Al Futtaim family to support the vision of the Government of Dubai and the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) for the creation of a globally competitive economy while maximising its social contribution to the community through this not-for-profit endeavour.
The Post: Primary Inclusion Lead
It is a very exciting time to join the Primary Team at DIS. We are looking for candidates who are ready to embrace a new challenge and join a team who is relentlessly focused on continuous improvement. DIS is an inclusive school where we believe that every child can achieve, and we strive to take away any glass ceiling that may be hindering the progress of individuals. We are seeking to attract a strong Inclusion Lead who understand the importance of continually developing and who will go to the greatest lengths to ensure that our school achieves its vision to provide the very best provision to all of our young learners. The Senior Leadership Team is committed to supporting all teachers to be happy, fulfilled and thrive in their work as we believe that in return, our young learners will do similar.
If you feel that you have the focused and positive mindset to join our dynamic team, we would welcome your application.
The successful applicant will be required to have the following:
• A B.Ed. or degree and PGCE / PGDE or equivalent with exceptional subject knowledge
• A PGCSenco or equivalent
• At least 5 years’ teaching experience of the National Curriculum for England and a proven track record of outstanding learning and teaching.
• At least 2 years’ teaching experience as part of an Inclusion/SEND Team capacity
• A mind-set which understands all students have the potential for top performance, and the drive and passion to enable them to do so.
• A thorough understanding of the Dubai Framework for Inclusive Education
The following will be desirable:
• At least 2 years’ Middle or Senior leadership experience and a track record of raising standards
• Experience of the KHDA framework and the auditing processes for evaluating the quality of Inclusive education in schools
• A working knowledge of the assessment systems of outstanding International schools, especially those within the UAE
Key Responsibilities Upon Appointment:
• Work closely with the Primary Leadership Team to ensure we reach our school improvement targets and strategic goals
• Develop and lead the Strategic Inclusive Education Improvement plan
• Improve both standards and accountability across the Primary school, with a focus on pupils with SEND
• Ensure that the school is following all policies and procedures as outlined in the Dubai Framework for Inclusive Education
• Lead the support to admissions on the assessment and transition of pupils into school
• Produce clear, concise and accurate information on the progress of pupils with SEND to all stakeholders
• Consult with and lead partnerships with external / community agencies to provide support to staff and students
• Form outstanding working relationships with other leaders and external stakeholders
• Line manage Inclusion Teachers, LSAs and ILSAs and support colleagues within the Inclusion Department to reach their Performance Management targets and professional aspirations
• Provide effective liaison with the Accounts department regarding contracts/MOU's and related fees
• Work positively and effectively under pressure, modelling the attributes and qualities of an outstanding leader.
• Be an active Deputy Safeguarding Lead and work as a wider advocate for Wellbeing
Teaching and Learning
• Oversee and quality assure any interventions relating to SEND
• Collaborate with Year group leaders and Inclusion teachers to develop intervention and support schedules for groups of pupils in response to data (G and T, maths, literacy, social groups, ELL)
• Develop Individual Education Plans (IEP) and SMART targets in collaboration with class teachers
• Review and quality assure IEPs to ensure that teachers are supported and clear on next steps
• Create, implement, and maintain assessment systems across the Inclusion Department making perceptive use of all student information
• Ensure systems for assessing, tracking and data analysis of pupils with SEND are understood by all staff in the Primary Phase
• Provide appropriate PD where necessary to ensure systems are understood and used effectively
• Hold meetings with Year and Core Leaders to analyse the impact of their actions and inform the School Evaluation and Improvement Plan
• Further develop and lead on the implementation of a reporting system that clearly informs parents of pupils with SEND and supports the partnership they have with the school
Developing Self and Others
• Lead relevant and agreed PD across the Primary phase
• Lead and support staff in developing and sustaining positive working relationships within and across phases
• Where appropriate, support the interview/selection process for teacher recruitment and ensure effective induction of new staff
• Actively pursue your own professional development as an Inclusion Lead
Other specific duties
• Play an active role in the future development of the school and its community
• Attend Open Days, marketing and after-school school community events where appropriate
• Promote and adhere to the school’s policies where appropriate.
• Any other professional duties that are required and outlined as a school leader at Deira International School
Deira International School (DIS)
United Arab Emirates
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years