ABOUT PEARSON ONLINE ACADEMY UK GLOBAL
Pearson Online Academy UK Global is a new, unique online school which will provide learners aged 14-18 across the world access to the best of contemporary practice and heritage in British education, whilst they remain in their own homes.
ABOUT THE ROLE OF PRINCIPAL
The Principal at Pearson Online Academy UK Global will have overall operational responsibility for the school, ensuring students receive a high-quality education while also being a key member of the team that is building a commercially successful enterprise. The Principal will be the ambassador for the school, implement strategies for its growth and also, as a leader of what will be one of the most high-profile online school brands, will need to drive the recognition of online schooling as a viable alternative for parents and children. He or she must be comfortable with the developing technologies behind online platforms and have awareness of competition in the marketplace. They must be relentless in driving improvements in the educational progress and attainment of all students, as well as exploring innovative ways of enriching the curriculum delivery with extra-curricular opportunities.
WHAT WILL A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE LOOK LIKE?
The Principal will be comfortable with taking risks and using failure as moments of deeper learning, poses the ability and willingness to inspire others; leading by example and role modelling the school’s values.
Demonstrate empathy, humility and genuine care about staff and pupils, taking time to support, guide and motivate them, and practice integrity at the highest ethical and moral professional standards.
He / She will be able to deal with change and ambiguity and motivate colleagues in periods of uncertainty in the context of a start-up operation; and be a confident decision maker with an inclusive, transparent, collaborative leadership style with the ability to effectively lead teams and achieve consensus.
We are looking for a Principal who shared the belief that everyone can benefit from and has an entitlement to high quality educational opportunities and is passionate about being directly engaged in the daily life of the school and with a generosity of spirit and commitment to the personal growth of learners, parents and staff members,
Experience of successful delivery against agreed strategic plans and understanding of Customer Services, PR and Marketing are also highly desirable, in addition to the ability to rapidly switch thinking, decision making and communication styles - with excellent communication, ICT and presentation skills, both written and oral.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the successful launch and development of Pearson Online Academy UK Global.
- Articulate a clear and dynamic vision for the school, building on foundational work by the Pearson team.
- Ensure that Pearson ethos, purpose and values are deeply embedded into every aspect of the school and its learning environment.
- Act as the recognisable public face of the school, particularly with prospective pupils, parents/carers and the global media.
- Be a global ambassador for Pearson Online Academy UK Global and lead student recruitment.
- Take overall commercial control of the online school, ensuring it meets its commercial objectives.
- Develop and implement a rigorous quality assurance framework.
- Rigorously track and monitor data on progress and attainment of all students implementing appropriate strategies and interventions when necessary
- Draw on the support provided by members of the online school community including: staff, parents, students and the wider education community to create a productive learning environment, which is engaging and fulfilling for all students.
- Ensure that all staff and volunteers feel able to raise concerns about poor or unsafe practice in regard to children, and such concerns are addressed sensitively and effectively in a timely manner in accordance with agreed complaint and whistleblowing practices.
Please refer to the attached job description to find out more about the Principal's role in teaching and learning, student recruitment, financials, reporting, board of governors, and other areas.
QUALIFICATONS & EXPERIENCE
- Previous year's experience in an academic leadership position at a UK curriculum school, ideally an International independent school.
- Substantial experience of teaching in an online environment.
- Proven record of administrative and visionary leadership in a demanding and student-centered environment.
- Demonstrated experience in academic strategic planning, curriculum development, faculty evaluation and assessment, and professional development, design and delivery.
- Demonstrated successful experience with international students and their families.
- Experience in the start–up and scale-up of a new school, business or non-profit would be helpful.
- Effective and clear communication skills (written, oral and digital/ online) with knowledge and respect for local cultural norms and expectations.
- Experience with educational technology and social media in the context of ensuring safe and respectful learning environment.
The closing date for applications is Friday 26th February. An accompanying letter should outline how you are suited to working for the School. Candidates who meet our initial shortlisting criteria will be invited to submit video answers to a number of questions to assist in shortlisting for interview.
Interviews will be held online in March.
The selection process and interview questions will relate to the details given in this job description. You will be asked to explain any discrepancies or anomalies in the information you have provided either on the application form or in your covering letter, as well as any issues arising from references, which we will take up in advance of your interview.
SAFEGUARDING AND CHILD PROTECTION
Pearson Online Academy UK Global is committed to safeguarding, protecting and promoting the welfare of children and you must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. At interview, we will ask questions about child protection procedures and your suitability to work with children. All staff must comply with our Child Protection Policy Statement, which can be found in our Safeguarding Policy.
In addition, the position will be offered subject to the receipt of satisfactory references and proof of qualifications. The School’s Recruitment, Selection and Disclosure Policy is available on our website.
Pearson Online Academy UK Global
Work from home, full-time online. You do not need to be in the UK.
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 14 - 18 years
Pearson Online Academy UK Global is a high-quality personalised online private school delivering Pearson Edexcel International GCSEs and A Levels for 14 - 18 year olds that can be accessed anywhere. We inspire and empower our students to achieve acad...